Man charged in sta­dium stab­bing

Record Observer - - Front Page - By AN­GELA PRICE bay­times@kibay­

CENTREVILLE — An Elk­ton man has been charged with sec­ond-de­gree at­tempted mur­der af­ter a stab­bing dur­ing a high school foot­ball play­off game Fri­day night, Nov. 11, at Lions Sta­dium.

Rod­ney O’Neal Wes­son, 50, was at­tend­ing the Queen Anne’s County ver­sus Elk­ton game when he got into an ar­gu­ment with his es­tranged wife, who also was at­tend­ing the game to watch their son play, ac­cord­ing to the Queen Anne’s County Sher­iff’s Of­fice.

As the ar­gu­ment es­ca­lated, Eu­gene King, 39, also of Elk­ton, a

friend of Mrs. Wes­son, at­tempted to in­ter­vene and Wes­son stabbed King in the chest, po­lice said. The as­sault oc­curred on the vis­i­tors side of the field shortly be­fore 8 p.m.

Wes­son tried to run away but was quickly chased down and cap­tured by 1st Sgt. John Mey­ers and an­other deputy work­ing the foot­ball game, ac­cord­ing to Lt. Dale Pa­trick, sher­iff’s of­fice spokesman.

Po­lice also re­cov­ered the weapon, a knife known as a Sonny, with a 3- to 4-inch blade, Pa­trick said.

King was flown to the Univer­sity of Mary­land Shock Trauma Cen­ter for treat­ment. He was listed in good con­di­tion Sat­ur­day af­ter­noon, ac­cord­ing to Frank B. Moor­man, hospi­tal spokesman. By Tues­day af­ter­noon, King had been dis­charged.

The joint state­ment is­sued Fri­day night by Pa­trick and Queen Anne’s County High School Prin­ci­pal An­gela Holocker said the as­sault was an iso­lated oc­cur­rence and quickly con­tained to a de­gree that the foot­ball game con­tin­ued with­out in­ter­rup­tion.

“A large por­tion of the crowd didn’t know it had hap­pened un­til the am­bu­lance showed up,” Pa­trick said.

Sports edi­tor Wil­liam Haufe, who was cov­er­ing the game, con­firmed that.

“I was on the Queen Anne’s side­line, and no one there knew any­thing about it. I didn’t know any­thing had hap­pened un­til the he­li­copter showed up,” Haufe said.

He said he thought the he­li­copter was fly­ing aw­fully low, then re­al­ized it was land­ing near the con­ces­sion booth. Haufe said he asked the Queen Anne’s trainer if she knew why the he­li­copter was there, and she said there had been a stab­bing.

In ad­di­tion to at­tempted mur­der, Wes­son is charged with first-de­gree as­sault, sec­ond-de­gree as­sault, reck­less en­dan­ger­ment and use of a deadly weapon with in­tent to in­jure.

He is be­ing held at the Queen Anne’s County De­ten­tion Cen­ter on no bail. A pre­lim­i­nary hear­ing in the case is set for Dec. 8.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.