Carol service set Dec. 4 for Old Starr Methodist Church
QUEEN ANNE — Gather for an evening of Christmas carols at Old Starr Methodist Church in Queen Anne at 6 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 4. Song leader is Nancy Cook of the Centreville United Methodist Church. Service will be followed by refreshments in the separate church hall.
Old Starr Methodist Church’s beginning was in a little village called Hall’s Cross Roads in the late 1770s. The Hall’s Cross Roads Society was a regular preaching appointment and active in the early 1780s.
John Emory, who later became Bishop, was converted at a “bush meeting” near Hall’s Cross Roads in 1806.
This present church was built in the late 1850s and dedicated in November 1860. Starting in 1881, Sunday School was held from April through the second Sunday of October.
In 1882 the church was repaired and frescoed in an outstanding manner. In 1886 a new organ was purchased.
Sometime between 1885 and 1890 Hall’s Cross Roads was changed to Starr by the Post Office Department. In 1899 this church became Starr M.E. Church.
In 1927 the Greenville School House was purchased and moved to the church grove.
In 1948 the church was again repaired and painted inside and out. Rev. Otho Brewer was the minister.
In 1959 the members were numbered at 17 and the conference closed the church. In 1961 the church changed to Richard Asbury and remained an active church until 1995, when it closed again.
In 1997 the Methodist conference sold the church to a committee to restore and keep.
Call Dolly Taylor at 410758-0755 for more information.
Isaiah Embert provides musical accompaniment on piano, while Nancy Cook leads the singing during a previous Christmas carol service.