Local dancers featured in CBC’s ‘The Nutcracker’
SEVERNA PARK — After 11 years, the Chesapeake Ballet Company knows a little bit about what it takes to get through a ballet season — mix one-part volunteer sweat equity with five parts of youth dancers willing to give up every single Saturday to prepare for the company’s two yearly productions and, voila. After jumping into the 2016 season with rehearsals Sept. 10, the dancers are only weeks away from the annual production of “The Nutcracker.”
“The average age of the dancers in our productions is 13 and yet many of these dancers have been dancing for more than half their lives. So we’re dedicated to providing them a very public outlet to showcase the hard work and dedication they pour into their art,” said Barbara Haskell, executive director and CBC founder. “They’ve spent the last three and a half months in daylong weekend rehearsals all to put on the best 11 performances they can in December.”
The 80-member cast consists of ballet dancers ranging in age from 7 to 18. This year’s dancers from the Eastern Shore include:
• Regan Baker, a senior at Kent Island High School who trains at L’Ecole de Danse and CBC, roles Mouse King and Dew Drop Fair y;
• Kerry Van Rees, a sophomore at Kent Island High School who trains at L’Ecole de Danse and CBC, roles Angel Soloist, Super Garland and Snow;
• Jake Lafferty, a student at Lighthouse Christian Academy who trains at L’Ecole de Danse and CBC, roles Nutcracker and Chinese;
• Isabelle Kessinger, a student at Matapeake Middle School, who trains at Dashiell School of Dancing and CBC, roles Party Girl, Snow, Waltz and Angel; and
• Madeline Reynolds, who trains at Jean Marie Dance Studio, roles Party Girl and Cake Bearer.
Performances will be held at 1 and 4 p.m. Dec. 10, 11 and 17 and a 1 p.m. matinee only on Dec. 18, all at Children’s Theatre of Annapolis, 1661 Bay Head Road, Annapolis.
Tickets are available at chesapeakeballetcompany.com.
Clockwise from center: Regan Baker, who dances Mouse King and Dew Drop Fairy, Kerry Van Rees, who dances Angel Soloist, Super Garland, and Snow, Jake Lafferty, who dances as Nutcracker and Chinese, and Isabelle Kessinger, who dances the parts of Party Girl, Snow, Waltz, Angel. Not pictured: Madeline Reynolds, who dances the parts of Party Girl and Cake Bearer.