Md. Century Farm Program honors Mid-Shore families
ANNAPOLIS — The following farms on the Mid-Shore were recognized by Governor Larry Hogan at a ceremony for the Mar yland Centur y Farm Program on Jan. 17 in Annapolis.
Tri-Centennial Farm Ben and Paige Tilghman. The Hermitage. Centreville, Queen Anne’s County.
The Hermitage was granted to the Tilghman Family by Charles Calvert in 1658. The original parcel consisted of 400 acres and has grown to 879 acres with half of the land in grain crops and half in timber. The original farmhouse no longer stands however the current home dates back to 1780. Along with this the farm has many buildings dating back to the late 1800s including various tenant houses, stables, corn cribs, and an ice house. The farm entered into the conser vation easement program run by the Maryland Environmental Trust in 1977.
Bi-Centennial Farm Frances and John R. Quinn. Hickory Ridge Farm. Massey, Kent County
Frances and John R. Quinn currently reside on the 282-acre farm. Samuel Johnson, great, great grandfather of Frances Quinn, purchased the land in 1787. The original farmhouse, built in 1888, still remains and is in excellent condition. The farm also includes two implement sheds, a pig house, a dairy barn and a milk house. Crops raised on the farm include corn, wheat, soybeans, potatoes, barley as well as cattle. They Quinn’s also have 11 acres of woodlands.
Centennial Farm David Williams and Margaret Ann Rogers, Fluharty’s Desire, Preston, Caroline County.
David Williams and Margaret Ann Rogers own the 49-acre grain farm, Fluharty’s Desire. The Rogers’ daughter Heather Fisher lives on the farm with her husband and two children. The family purchased the farm in 1876. The original home, built circa 1881, was added onto the farm in 1918 and 1975 and is in good condition. Crops grown on the farm include cantaloupe, watermelon, cucumbers, tomatoes, wheat, barley, soybeans, corn and sweet corn. Livestock raised include steers, horses, milk cows, pigs, chickens, and ducks. They participate in the cover crop and feed grain programs.
John and Anne Shults, Shults Farm, Henderson, Caroline County
John and Anne Shults currently own the 77 acre farm. John’s grandfather, John T. Shults, purchased the property in 1908. The house, built in 1981, various barns, and 25 acres were sold to a young farmer to help him get established in farming, while John, Anne, and John’s mother live across the street and continue to grow crops and manage the rest of the farm, with the help of their son-in-law. Crops grown on the farm include hay, corn, wheat, soybeans, forage, and sweet peppers. Livestock raised include milk cows, beef cattle, and chickens. The family has participated in soil and water conservation and has met all required good management practices.
Franklin and Margaret Robinson, Robinson Home Farm, Mar ydel, Caroline County
Franklin and Margaret Robinson, currently reside on the 99 acre farm. Franklin’s grandmother originally purchased the land in 1899. The original farmhouse, built circa 1775, is still in use. Additional buildings on the farm include a meat house c.1948, corn crib c.1958, hog pen c.1960, cow shed c.1961 and various other barns. Crops grown on the farm include corn, soybeans, wheat, alfalfa, hay, peppers cucumbers, tomatoes, peas, sweet corn, and string beans. Livestock raised include beef and dairy cows, hogs, and chickens. The farm owner participates in the cover crop program, Mar yland Ag Land Preser vation Foundation, and various other best management practices. Additionally, they were named the Caroline County Soil Conservation Cooperator of the Year in 2006.
Curtis Eberspacher, Drawbridge Farm, Cambridge, Dorchester County
Curtis Eberspacher is the 4th generation to own the 357 acre farm. Originally, the farm operated as a dairy farm until the early 1960s. Now a majority of the farm acres are enrolled in the Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program through USDA-NRCS.
Elizabeth Handley-Nagel, Kuebler Farm, Vienna, Dorchester County
Elizabeth (Libby) Handley-Nagel and Christian Nagel currently own and operate this 220 acre farm where they grow corn, wheat, and soybeans. Elizabeth’s great-grandfather, Karl Kuebler, originally purchased the farm in 1906. The farm utilizes many best management practices such as cover crops and conservation tillage practices. In 2005, Chris and Libby received the “Outstanding Cooperator of the Year” award from the Maryland Association of Soil Conservation Districts. Additionally, in 2006 they received the “Outstanding Agricultural Practices Award” from the Chesapeake Bay Program.
William and Darlene Goehringer, Pop’s Old Place Farm, Hurlock, Dorchester County
Darlene Goehringer owns and operates the 70 acre farm. Darlene’s great grandfather, Gustave Goehringer purchased the farm in 1906. Crops grown on the farm include sweet corn, wheat, soybeans. The farm participates in the cover crop program and implements other best management practices.
Mary Helen LarrimoreWolfe, Security Neglect Farm, Centreville, Queen Anne’s County
Mary Helen LarrimoreWolfe owns the 193-acre farm that was bought in 1908 by her grandfather, James Harry Larrimore. She currently lives in the original house, which was built just one year after the purchase of the farm. The farm currently includes cropland, floodplain/wetlands, and woodland. Crops grown on the farm include corn, soybeans, wheat, rye, lespedeza, vegetables, and fruit trees. Livestock raised on the farm includes guineas, cows, pigs, steer, rabbits, chickens, turkeys, and ducks. The farm has also been used for its orchards, fruit and nut trees, sugar corn, and forestry, and contains a number of historical buildings such as a brooder house and smokehouse.
Joseph George Taylor Jr., Cherry Blossom Farm, Church Hill, Queen Anne’s County
Currently the 261 acre small grain operation is owned by Joseph George Taylor, Jr. The farm was purchased in 1900 from the James Coppage Estate. The house was built in 1910 and various barns are still on the property. In addition to growing small grains, the farm manages 6 poultry houses for Mountaire Farms, and runs a small produce stand in the summer months. The farm owner also owns and operates Cherry Blossom Farms Hunting — a small game hunting business that includes duck, geese, deer and turkey. The farm owner participates in the cover crop program, Maryland Agricultural Land Preservation Foundation, and various other best management practices.
Phil and Lois MacDonald, Kitty’s Corner Farm, Cordova, Talbot County
Hans and Helen Schwarten and Phil and Lois MacDonald live on and operate the 85-acre farm, purchased in 1907 by Julius Schwarten, Lois’s grandfather. The family currently grows barley, soybeans, hay and pasture. Livestock raised on the farm include dairy cows, sheep, hogs, chickens, mules, horses, and geese. The farm has also grown sweet corn and pumpkins. The family participates in the federal Conservation Stewardship Program, Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program, cover crop, and nutrient management program and has installed numerous best management practices.
Donald Cober and Mary Ann Miller, Summerton Farm, Wittman, Talbot County
Siblings Donald B. Cober and Mary Ann Miller currently own the 350-acre farm, where Donald lives in the original brick home, built circa 1690. Donald and Mary Ann’s greatuncle, Allan W. Beachley, purchased the original 400acre farm in 1908. Work on the farm consists of raising chickens, hogs and sheep along with maintaining a Holstein dairy herd. It also involves growing tomatoes, corn, soybeans, wheat, making hay and butchering. The farm has also been utilized for timbering. The farm participates in the Conservation Reserve Program and Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program and has implemented numerous best management practices.
Robert and Barbara Saathoff, Robert Saathoff Farm, Easton, Talbot County
Robert and Barbara Saathoff own and operate the 192-acre grain and poultry farm. Barbara’s grandfather Rudolph Pahlman purchased the farm in 1908 from Thomas E. Leverton. Crops grown on the farm include corn, soybeans, and wheat. In its 104-year history, the farm has been the scene for many innovative techniques and machinery. Barbara’s father Charles was one of the first farmers in the area to double crop soybeans after barley in 1959. The farm is still home to three original Allis Chalmer tractors that are still in working condition, including the first self propelled combine that was used on the farm in the late 1950s. The farm was enrolled in the Maryland Ag Land Preservation Foundation in 2005. Additionally, the farm participates in the cover crop program and implements other best management practices.