HVAC mal­func­tion sus­pected in fire

Record Observer - - News -

CH­ESTER­TOWN — The Mary­land State Fire Mar­shal’s Of­fice is in­ves­ti­gat­ing a fire that caused sig­nif­i­cant damage to a Ch­ester­town home the af­ter­noon of Feb. 5.

The 12:56 p.m. fire at the one-story, sin­gle-fam­ily dwelling at 120 Fey Road is still un­der in­ves­ti­ga­tion, though deputy fire mar­shals be­lieve the cause was ac­ci­den­tal. Early investigations in­di­cate an elec­tri­cal or me­chan­i­cal ven­ti­la­tion mal­func­tion in the HVAC sys­tem was the cause, said Deputy State Fire Mar­shal Matt Stevens.

The housed, owned by Carl El­burn, sus­tained $250,000 in struc­tural dam­ages and $30,000 to con­tent dam­ages, the fire mar­shal’s re­port said.

It took 41 fire­fight­ers from the Church Hill, Ch­ester­town, Crump­ton, Good­will, Sudlersville and Queen­stown vol­un­teer fire de­part­ments more than an hour to con­trol. Queen Anne’s County Emer­gency Ser­vices also re­sponded, said Church Hill VFC Pres­i­dent Brett Van­zant.

The fire was dis­cov­ered by the home­own­ers, and a smoke alarm was present and ac­tive. No one was in­jured dur­ing the fire.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.