50 YEARS AGO
Last Week A stubborn, smokey fire practically gutted a four-family rowhouse on Johnstown Lane in Centreville Sunday morning leaving 12 people homeless.
Three fire companies fought the blaze and losses were estimated at between $15,000 and $20,000 by firemen. The building was almost a total loss and occupants were able to save very little from the ruins.
While none of the people in the building were injured, a 17-year-old junior fireman with the Goodwill Fire Company, suf fered smoke inhalation. Ronald Davis, who had just been accepted into the membership last week and was responding to his first alarm, was taken to a local doctor’s office, treated and sent home.
• • • Centreville Town Police are investigating two breaking and entering crimes which occurred early Sunday morning and were apparently committed by the same person or persons.
Police Chief Charles I. Tarbutton reports that on Sunday morning between 2:38 and 3:06, the Acme Market in Centreville was broken into. The intruders entered through the back of the store by breaking three iron bars from a window and proceeded to the front of the store where they attempted to break open the safe. The safe is hooked to a burglar alarm which went off and apparently frightened the burglars off.
• • • Governor Agnew’s nomination of David C. Bryan to be Trial Magistrate for Queen Anne’s County has been turned down by the General Assembly.
The unfavorable action is considered to be directly attributable to Upper Shore Sen. Robert. P. Dean, who represents Caroline, Cecil, Kent, Queen Anne’s and Talbot counties. He reportedly objects to having a lawyer serve as Trial Magistrate.
• • • When the 1,116 students of the Queen Anne’s County Comprehensive High School return from Easter Vacation Friday, March 31,