Man burned while working on boat
KINGSTOWN — A boat owner was flown to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center in Baltimore on Friday, July 21, after suffering facial burns while working on his vessel, according to a news release from the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office.
He was identified as Jayson Hadaway, 36, of Chestertown.
Hadaway was in the stern of a 1997 Maycraft when an open flame along with fuel vapors inside the hull of the vessel caused a fire, the fire marshal’s office said.
Deputy Chief State Fire Marshal Matthew Stevens said Hadaway was working on some wiring and using the heat from a lighter to tighten the shrink wrap around the wiring.
Hadaway injured his back and suffered minor burns to his face, according to investigators.
He has been released from the hospital.
The incident occurred at 7:26 p.m. in the 200-block of Fey Road. State tax and assessment records show the property is owned by Richard and Lynn Fleetwood.
The Chestertown Volunteer Fire Company responded and brought the fire under control in 24 minutes, according to the news release.
Damage to the boat was estimated at $1,000.
A fire aboard this watercraft resulted in the injury of the owner.