FROM THE PAST
Tri-County Director William V. Riggs Jr. has encountered a problem in this new program which now includes kindergartens. This is the first year that the state’s educational system has provided full support for the kindergartens.
In checking the 1962 birth records and other more current statistics to see how many 5-year-olds should be ready for kindergarten this year, the Board of Education came up with a figure of about 157 more children than were enrolled last May. draft of the historic district ordinance presented the draft to the town council last month, according to Michael Day, chief of the Office of Planning and Educational Outreach for Maryland Historical Trust.
Day said that while no decisions were made to accept the ordinance, the meeting between the committee and the council provided new understanding to a lot of unanswered questions or misunderstandings about historic districts.
••• Under the cover of darkness, the British began their attack.
They planned to surprise the Americans, to surround and capture, without having to fire a shot.
Their numbers were superior, with over 3,000 men serving His Majesty, and less than 400 rag-tag American militia.
At 2:50 a.m., Aug. 13, 1813, a contingent of British of British crossed the Kent Narrows and headed down the main road (present day State Route 18) toward Queenstown.
A force of 1,500 British marines silently moved up the Chester River in 45 barges. Their mission was to take the American camp in reverse, blocking any retreat toward Centreville.
Along the main road, at a point called Slippery Hill (present intersection of Route 18 nd Bennetts Point Road), 100 American cavalry-men hunkered down to await the British. They knew they were sorely outnumbered, but they remained behind earthworks, 100 feet long by 6-feet wide, awaiting their fate.
A sentry, spotting the column of advancing British, fired into their midst.
The battle had begun.