Smok­ing blamed in Ch­ester house fire

Record Observer - - News -

CH­ESTER — Im­prop­erly dis­carded smok­ing ma­te­ri­als were de­ter­mined the cause of a Sun­day evening struc­ture fire in Ch­ester that be­gan in an ex­te­rior garage and spread to the home, a Mar yland Fire Mar­shal’s re­port states.

At 6:21 p.m. Oct. 8, mem­bers of the Kent Is­land, United Com­mu­ni­ties, Gra­sonville and Queen­stown vol­un­teer fire de­part­ments, as well as Queen Anne’s County Emer­gency Ser­vices, re­sponded to 115 Golt Road for a re­ported struc­ture fire.

The home­owner, Christo­pher Lewis, re­ported the in­ci­dent af­ter his 5-year-old daugh­ter ob­served the fire while look­ing out a win­dow, the re­port stated.

The one-alarm fire, which caused $50,000 in struc­tural dam­age and $15,000 in con­tent dam­age at the one-story, wood­frame, sin­gle-fam­ily home, took 30 fire­fight­ers about 15 min­utes to con­trol, the fire mar­shal’s of­fice re­ported.

Though the home was oc­cu­pied at the time of the fire, fam­ily mem­bers were able to get out. No in­juries were re­ported.

A Ch­ester home was dam­aged af­ter smok­ing ma­te­ri­als were im­prop­erly dis­posed of Sun­day evening and caught fire to the ex­te­rior garage and then the home, ac­cord­ing to the Mary­land State Fire Mar­shal’s of­fice. CON­TRIB­UTED PHOTO

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.