A look at Media General over the years.
Media General history
1887: Maj. Lewis Ginter, founder of The Daily Times in 1886, gives the newspaper to Joseph Bryan.
1896: Bryan acquires The Leader, renames it The Evening Leader.
1903: Four dailies combine into two — The Times-dispatch (owned by Bryan) and The News Leader (owned by John L. Williams).
1908: Bryan purchases the News Leader from Williams and dies shortly thereafter. John Stewart Bryan succeeds his father as publisher of The Times-dispatch and The News Leader.
1914: The TimesDispatch is sold to three families; Bryan continues to own The News Leader.
1940: The TimesDispatch returns to Bryan ownership. The News Leader and The TimesDispatch operate as competing newspapers. Richmond Newspapers Inc. is formed.
1944: After his father’s death, D. Tennant Bryan is named president and publisher of The Times-dispatch and The News Leader.
1966: Richmond Newspapers acquires control of The Tribune Co., which included The Tampa Tribune, The Tampa Times, WFLA-TV and WFLA radio.
1969: Media General Inc. is created as a holding company for media properties.
1970: Media General is listed on the American Stock Exchange.
1978: J. Stewart Bryan III succeeds his father as publisher of The Times-dispatch and The News Leader.
1990: Bryan becomes chairman, president and chief executive officer of Media General.
1992: The TimesDispatch and The News Leader merge into a single morning publication under the name of the Richmond Times-dispatch. Printing operations move to a plant in Hanover County.
1998: New corporate headquarters in downtown Richmond is completed. D. Tennant Bryan dies at age 92.
2001: Media General stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the “MEG” ticker symbol.
2005: Bryan steps down as CEO; Marshall N. Morton, who had been vice chairman and chief financial officer, becomes president and CEO.
May 17, 2012: Company announces decision to sell 63 of its newspapers, including The Times-dispatch, to Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Inc. for $142 million.
In 1924, this is how the newsroom looked in The News Leader’s building on North Eighth Street.
In 1997, Media General CEO J. Stewart Bryan III spoke at a groundbreaking ceremony for the new Times- Dispatch building.
A Media General building at 301 E. Grace St. was brought down in 1998 to make way for new offices.