WHAT WE DID RIGHT
• We did not panic. We checked methodically for water intrusion and maintained control of the vessel as best we could.
• We did not let the rudder bang against the stops.
• We had our PFDs on. Pat and I never approach or leave the dock without wearing them and often on short trips we never take them off. Think of it as if it was one thing less to do.
• We left the engine running, but kept it in neutral; power was available when we needed it, but our prop was less exposed to damage in case of contact with a rock.
• After all options were investigated we sent out a distress call. The goal was to attract attention