1. Keep batteries fully charged to prolong their life.
2. Secure batteries in dedicated boxes, or fasten with straps or plates, to avoid damage from jostling in a chop.
3. Never use wing nuts to secure battery cables to the terminals; use stainless-steel nuts with lock washers instead.
4. Carry the appropriate wrench or socket on board to tighten loose cables or disconnect a battery on the water.
5. Unless batteries are maintenance-free, check water levels routinely.
6. Store batteries in climate-controlled spaces to prevent damage.