Fam­ily faults S.F. po­lice of­fi­cers for shoot­ing man

San Francisco Chronicle Late Edition - - BAY AREA - By Vi­vian Ho Vi­vian Ho is a San Fran­cisco Chronicle staff writer. Email: vho@ sfchron­i­cle.com Twit­ter: @Vi­vianHo

The man who was shot and se­ri­ously wounded by two San Fran­cisco po­lice of­fi­cers in the Ocean View neigh­bor­hood had a his­tory of men­tal ill­ness that was known to the po­lice, his fam­ily said Thurs­day.

At a town hall meet­ing a block from where 42year-old Sean Moore was shot early last Fri­day, his fam­ily ques­tioned why of­fi­cers re­sponded with lethal force amid a depart­ment-wide push to­ward cre­at­ing time and dis­tance and us­ing deesca­la­tion tac­tics with sub­jects in men­tal cri­sis.

“He’s not an an­i­mal,” said his mother, Cleo Moore. “He’s a per­son with a men­tal con­di­tion. I don’t think he de­served to have been shot in his own home.”

Po­lice said the two of­fi­cers had been re­spond­ing to re­ports of a re­strain­ing or­der vi­o­la­tion when they first came in con­tact with Moore about 4:15 a.m. In­terim Chief Toney Chap­lin said the of­fi­cers had no warn­ing of his men­tal health his­tory.

The shoot­ing was the first of­fi­cer-in­volved in­ci­dent of 2017, as well as the first one cap­tured on the depart­ment’s new body-worn cam­eras. Ac­cord­ing to Cmdr. Greg McEach­ern, the footage showed Moore yelling pro­fan­i­ties at the of­fi­cers through a locked gate as they at­tempted to speak to him about the re­strain­ing or­der vi­o­la­tion.

Moore even­tu­ally opened the gate to grab the re­strain­ing or­der pa­pers from the of­fi­cers as they stood a few steps below him. An of­fi­cer de­ployed pep­per spray, McEach­ern said, prompt­ing Moore to kick one of the of­fi­cer’s in the face be­fore re­treat­ing back into the house.

As an of­fi­cer called an am­bu­lance, Moore re­opened the front door, threw the pa­pers on the ground and walked out into the street. One of the of­fi­cers told him he was un­der ar­rest, and struck him in the lower leg with a ba­ton, McEach­ern said.

Moore punched that of­fi­cer, and when he ad­vanced on the sec­ond of­fi­cer, McEach­ern said, that of­fi­cer shot twice.

Moore re­treated into his home, where he called 911. Af­ter a short stand­off, a tac­ti­cal team went in­side and Moore was trans­ported to San Fran­cisco Gen­eral Hos­pi­tal, where he re­mained Thurs­day.

Mem­bers of the public ex­pressed dis­may that while McEach­ern pro­vided de­tails from the body-worn cam­era footage, of­fi­cials de­clined to show it. Chap­lin said, “We will make the de­ter­mi­na­tion (to show the footage) once the in­ves­ti­ga­tion is com­plete.”

McEach­ern’s ac­count­ing of the body cam­era footage also con­tra­dicted orig­i­nal re­ports pro­vided to the me­dia. Of­fi­cials said last Fri­day that Moore had taken an of­fi­cer’s ba­ton, thus prompt­ing the shoot­ing.

Of­fi­cials also orig­i­nally told the me­dia that Moore suf­fered non­lifethreat­en­ing in­juries, be­fore chang­ing his con­di­tion to life-threat­en­ing. Ac­cord­ing to his fam­ily, Moore was struck in his stom­ach and in his groin and has gone through two surg­eries to re­pair dam­age to his colon and liver.

“There’s been a lot of con­tra­dict­ing in­for­ma­tion re­leased,” said Ken Black­mon, Moore’s brother.

Black­mon said his brother had been di­ag­nosed with para­noid schizophre­nia, but was over­all a gen­tle per­son who “never put his hands on any­body.”

“We’ve been try­ing for some time to get him help, but based on the fact that he’s an adult, we’ve al­ways been told that he makes his own de­ci­sions, you can’t de­cide for him,” he said.

For the Jan. 6 in­ci­dent, Moore was charged with as­sault on a po­lice of­fi­cer.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.