Ariz. man swears off rat­tlesnakes

Santa Fe New Mexican - - LOCAL & REGION -

PHOENIX — A 48-year-old Ari­zona man hos­pi­tal­ized for a week after be­ing bit­ten twice by a rat­tlesnake he was hold­ing said he “ain’t gonna play with snakes no more.”

Vic­tor Pratt of Coolidge told the Ari­zona Repub­lic that the rat­tler slipped out of his grasp as he showed it off to friends and fam­ily after find­ing the snake on his prop­erty.

Pratt said he was bit­ten once when he was 19 so he knew he needed to go to a hospi­tal im­me­di­ately.

He’s been un­der­go­ing treat­ment with an­tivenin, first be­ing treated at a lo­cal hospi­tal and then trans­ferred to Ban­ner-Univer­sity Med­i­cal Cen­ter Phoenix.

Ban­ner’s tox­i­col­ogy di­rec­tor, Dr. Steven Curry, says prompt med­i­cal at­ten­tion is vi­tal be­cause rat­tlesnake venom is toxic and can cause swelling that can block air pas­sages.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.