Nebo Stake Tabernacle
The first tabernacle was built in 1870 and was dedicated July 20, 1872 by Apostle Wilford Woodruff. It was built at a cost of $27,447. After 32 years this tabernacle burned to the ground in 1904.
Construction for the new tabernacle started in June, 1906 and was completed in November 1907 at which time it was dedicated by President Joseph F. Smith. It was bult on the same site of the original tabernacle. The cost of Construction was $20,000. It was paid for and dedicated within a period of 18 months. This was considered a church record at the time.
The Tabernacle attracted people from Springville south, west to Goshen, and sometimes Eureka, Mammoth, Knightsville, and Silver City.
The building had a seating capacity for over a thousand people. All the seats were filled at the dedication.
The building was used for over 60 years. Then the new Nebo Stake Center was built and for a time the future of the building was unknown. General Authorities of the church said it could not be sold to anyone who would use it for entertainment, such as skating, pool, or dancing. Nothing was done for more than a year, and vandals started breaking windows and breaking into the building.
Then, in about 1966 the Senior Citizens was organized in Payson, and a place was needed for their activities. Payson City obtained a long-term lease on the building and turned it over to Senior Citizens. The Tabernacel became the Senior Citizen Center. After the Senior Citizens quit using the building it was sold to Valley Bank in 1981. It was torn down and Central Bank was built on the property.
The old Nebo Stake Tabernacle.