DUP marker honors pioneers
One of the objectives of the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers is to preserve old landmarks and mark historical places. One way this is done is by placing markers at sites important to the history of the area. Springville has one such marker at the corner of 200 North and 200 West. It is there marking the site where the pioneers camped the first night when they arrived in the Springville area on September 18, 1850. This is the day we celebrate Springville’s birthday.
This marker was erected in September 1949. The local DUP organization requested the city council to pass a resolution to allow them to place this marker. It was built by Willis Johnson with assistance from Marion Johnson and James Andreason. The dedication of the marker took place at Springville’s Centennial Commemoration on September 17, 1950. Mary Smart, captain of the Spring Creek DUP Camp, organized the dedicatory ceremony. The inscription marker reads:
Daughters of Utah Pioneers, No. 140, Erected September 1949, Springville’s First Camp Site. On September 18, 1850, the first pioneers arrived in Springville and camped on this lot. Covered with tall grasses, supplied with plenty of spring water and bordered on the east by lofty mountains and on the west by the sparkling waters of Utah Lake, this settlement had been selected earlier by scouts for settlement. The company consisted of Captain Aaron Johnson, Myron N. Crandall, John W. Deal, William Miller, Amos S. Warren and their families: Martin P.. Nelson D.. Lucian, D. Crandall and Charles Warren.
The Daughters of the Utah Pioneers Springville/Mapleton Company and Cottonwood Camp thank the family of Russ and Suzanne Farrer for their help in maintaining the area around the marker next to their property. For more information, visit the Pioneer Museum at 175 N. Main Springville, phone 491-2076.
This DUP Marker is found in Springville marking the place where pioneers camped the first night after they arrived in Springville.