Artists wanted for Chalk It Up On Main event
Local Cheddar and Serve Daily are pleased to announce the third annual Chalk It Up On Main event, which will be held around the library in Spanish Fork. Chalk It Up On Main is a two-day sidewalk chalk event where more than 100 artists will spend hours creating beautiful artwork.
This year’s event will take place on June 2 and 3 and will include local vendor booths, food trucks and a fun kids carnival.
Artists of all ages and skill levels are invited to join in the fun and create artwork on the sidewalks around the library for the thousands of spectators anticipated to attend. In the past, there have been artists ranging from as young as 8 years old to seasoned chalk art veterans.
There will be trophies that the artists can win including Artist’s Choice, People’s Choice, Mayor’s Choice, Best Young Artist, Best High School Artist and sponsor awards.
Registration for chalk artists is regularly $40 per person, but artists get a $10 discount if they sign up before May 18. Registration includes a festival T-shirt, lunch from a local food truck, a goodie bag and a pack of artist’s chalk. Artists can sign up as individuals or as a team of up to four people. Drawing will start on Friday, June 2, at 3 p.m. and continue until Saturday, June 3, at 4:30 p.m. with an awards ceremony at 5 p.m. Those interested can register at www.LocalCheddar.com.
The theme for chalk artists this year is “Your favorite place in Utah!” Drawings can be an image of your back yard, one of Utah’s majestic national parks, your favorite fishing hole or even your favorite local business to frequent as long as it is somewhere located in Utah.
Local Cheddar and Serve Daily look forward to seeing many south Utah County residents, family and friends at the upcoming Chalk It Up On Main event in Spanish Fork. For additional questions, contact Kathy Anderson of Local Cheddar by phone at 801-609-8231, online at LocalCheddar.com or by email at LocalCheddar@gmail.com, or contact Chris Baird of Serve Daily by phone at 801- 477-6845, online at ServeDaily.com, or by email at Chris@ServeDaily.com.
In preparation for the event, here is a beginner’s guide to chalking a masterpiece:
• Have a small printed image of your artwork to reference.
• Mask off the border of your chalk block to create a sharp edges when you are finished.
• Grid off your chalk block with string or chalk lines that match the dimensions on your printed sample drawing.
• Start from the top of your chalk block and begin filling the image with the colored chalk.
• Lay a foundation of color using your fingers in small areas and a chalkboard eraser for larger areas.
• Wear rubber gloves to protect your skin.
• Fill in the details of the image using various shades of colored chalk. Continue to blend colors to gain the right effect. Leave some chalk color unblended on the surface of the concrete to bring out colors, highlights and details.
• Work your way down the area of your chalk block.
• Remove the masking tape to reveal clean, crisp outlines.
• Do not blow or fan excess chalk into the air. It will dull your colors, and chalk dust is not good to breathe.
• To get intense color, apply the chalk more than once. The first time fills in cracks and crevices; bear down hard. The second time is to let the chalk powder rest on the top of the bumps. Then don’t touch it anymore.
• Sign your work when finished.