Jalapeno Mac & Cheese
PREP: 25 min. • COOK: 3 hours MAKES: 15 servings
A friend brought me a big casserole of mac ’n’ cheese along with the recipe many years ago after I had knee surgery. Over the years, I fiddled with the recipe, most recently adding jalapenos at the request of my son. What an awesome spicy twist! —Teresa Gustafson, Elkton, MD
1 pkg. (16 oz.) uncooked elbow macaroni
6 Tbsp. butter, divided
4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
2 cups whole milk
1 can (103/4 oz.) condensed cream of onion soup, undiluted
1 can (103/4 oz.) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup crushed Ritz crackers (about 25 crackers)
1. Cook macaroni according to the package directions for al dente; drain. Transfer macaroni to a greased 5-qt. slow cooker.
2. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the jalapenos; cook and stir 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add to slow cooker. Stir in the cheeses, milk, soups, mayonnaise and pepper.
3. Cook, covered, on low 3 hours or until cheese is melted and mixture is heated through. Melt remaining butter; stir in crackers. Sprinkle over macaroni mixture.
428 cal., 27g fat (13g sat. fat), 53mg chol., 654mg sod., 33g carb. (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g pro.
TEST KITCHEN TIPS
• Leave some of the seeds in the jalapeno peppers for extra heat.
• Be sure to cook the pasta just short of tender. It will continue to cook in the slow cooker.
JalapenoMac & Cheese