Local schools modify schedule after Irma to makeup missed days
Due to the landfall of Hurricane Irma, both Miami-Dade and Broward County Public Schools have made changes to their calendars to make up for the days students missed.
The School Board of Broward County unanimously approved utilizing two previously scheduled early release days – October 19 and December 22 – as make-up days for Hurricane Irma. There are no changes to winter break, spring break or the last day of school.
The Broward School Board’s approval follows the recommendation presented by Superintendent Robert W. Runcie during the September 26 School Board meeting.
The makeup days were selected in consideration of students, families and staff commitments for vacation and holidays scheduled around the school year calendar.
The makeup days also reflect input from employee group representatives, including the Broward Teachers Union and other community stakeholders.
In addition to the makeup days, the School Board approved amending the school calendar to shift the start of the second quarter from Monday, October 23 to Monday, October 30 and the start of the third quarter from Tuesday, January 9, 2018, to Tuesday, January 16, 2018.
Broward’s schools were closed for seven days in preparation for and cleanup following Hurricane Irma. Florida Education Commissioner Pam Stewart announced school districts could waive two of the closure days.
By extending the two early release days to full instructional days, the District remains in compliance with the state’s requirements for instructional hours for the school year without the need for additional makeup days. Miami-Dade County Public Schools made changes to its Testing Calendar as a result of days missed due to Irma.
It reflects changes to the administration windows for the following programs (only remaining dates are listed):
• Florida Kindergarten Readiness Assessment (FLKRS:STAR assessment) – extended through October 13
• FSA ELA Retake Reading/Listening Component – rescheduled through October 13
• Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test (FCAT 2.0) Reading Retake and Next Generation Sunshine State Standards (NGSSS) EOCs rescheduled through October 20
• District ELA Writing Test – rescheduled through November 3 • Mid-Year Assessments • ELA and Mathematics – rescheduled November 20 – December 22
• Science and Social Studies MYA will remain as scheduled, January 22, 2018 – February 16, 2018
To view Broward’s amended 2017-18 school year calendar, visit browardschools.com/calendars.
To view the revised calendar for Miami-Dade, visit http://oada.dadeschools.net/TestingCalendar/TestingCalendar.asp.