PROJECT BLOODHOUND, PART 3

Per­for­mance-Ready Front Sus­pen­sion

Street Trucks - - CONTENTS - TEXT BY KEVIN AGUILAR PHOTOS BY KEVIN AGUILAR AND CHAD CAROTHERS

YOU NEED TO start with a good foun­da­tion in or­der to cre­ate some­thing great. We’ve started Project Bloodhound, a ’70 C-10, with a solid base as we strive to­ward dodg­ing cones on the au­tocross course. To achieve our goals, we made some up­grades to this old dog to turn it into a cor­ner­carv­ing beast.

We stripped the truck down to bare bones to build it up big time. Once we were fin­ished, all that was left in our drive­way was a cab and a long-bed frame, which we later cut down. Next, we re­built our Chevy 12-bolt rearend and added a posi. With the axle set, we took care of the rear sus­pen­sion by ditch­ing the all­stock com­po­nents for Ridetech’s Level 2 coil-over kit. We also cleaned up the frame and coated it with rust in­hibitor (P/N POI-45404) and Chas­sis Shield paint (P/N SUM-CSUMUP501) from Sum­mit Rac­ing.

Once the rear was fin­ished, we fin­ished off the frame and tack­led the front sus­pen­sion. This job was a lit­tle more com­pli­cated be­cause it ad­dressed mul­ti­ple func­tions like ride damp­en­ing, brak­ing and steer­ing. We were pretty happy with the qual­ity of the Ridetech rear kit, so we were con­fi­dent that the front kit would be equally im­pres­sive. It didn’t dis­ap­point, as the new con­trol arms and coil-over mount­ing brack­ets came pow­der­coated black.

To lower the truck even fur­ther, a set of Wil­wood’s new drop ProSpin­dles (P/N 831-14201) were added. Th­ese spin­dles low­ered the C-10 an ad­di­tional 2.5 inches and were de­signed to work with Wil­wood’s per­for­mance-proven brakes. We or­dered the set along with Wil­wood’s Aero6 front brake kit (P/N 140-15305) with 14-inch Spec-37 discs and six-pis­ton calipers. To com­ple­ment the

parts, we added a stain­less steel Flex­line kit and a mas­ter cylin­der.

To up­grade steer­ing func­tion­al­ity, we de­cided to ditch the tra­di­tional steer­ing box for a mod­ern rack-and-pin­ion. With so many parts read­ily avail­able th­ese days, it’s so easy to make this sort of im­prove­ment. Flam­ing River of­fered a so­lu­tion here with its Power Rack & Pin­ion cra­dle steer­ing kit. It comes com­plete with steer­ing rack cra­dle, steer­ing shaft, steer­ing joints, mount­ing bracket, power steer­ing pump and fluid reser­voir. A set of tie rods from Rare Parts con­nects the rack to the spin­dles.

Lastly, even though we’re pri­mar­ily build­ing the truck for the track, we planned to fin­ish it well; so, we dressed it up with a set of 20x10.5inch VN901 Amer­i­can Rac­ing Wheels. Our part­ner on this project, Chad Carothers of In­dex Ink De­sign, added some spe­cial touches by im­ple­ment­ing a splat­ter paint scheme and had the wheels pow­der-coated by New Year Metal Fin­ish­ing. To help us keep our grip on the pave­ment, a set of 295/30R20 Toyo

Tires Proxes 4 Plus wraps the cus­tom­ized wheels. Th­ese tires were de­signed for high­per­for­mance ap­pli­ca­tions and aren’t weight rated for typ­i­cal show trucks. Be­cause our truck is more of a pro-tour­ing-style build with weight re­moved, th­ese tires sup­port our truck while adding more trac­tion.

With the right prep work, the front end of our chas­sis was set up to han­dle like never be­fore. Not only did th­ese prod­ucts help us reach our goal, we were able to add them eas­ily in our very own drive­way. Take a peek at how you can mod­ern­ize your clas­sic hauler, too.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.