Fire hits Pines restaurant
Fire damaged a Pembroke Pines restaurant Friday and sent heavy smoke into the animal hospital next door.
No onewas at theAmazing Thai and Japanese Restaurant, at 18411 Pines Blvd. in the Chapel Trail Plaza, when the blaze began. The interior was covered in soot, but no employees were injured, said one of the owners, who declined to give her name.
At the Pines West Animal Hospital, about two dozen patients and boarded dogs, cats and kittenswere taken outside for fresh air. All of the animals survived, staffers said.
At lunchtime, fans were humming and doors were open to ventilate the animal hospital, where customer JackieOlmosaid she has been a client for nearly three decades.
She was dropping off Meatball, her whitepoodle, for boarding and was not concerned that a slightly smoky smell lingered.
“I knowif they think the dog is not going to be fine, they’ll call me,” Olmo said. “They’d even takeMeatball home for the night. They care about these pets like they’re their own.”
The fire is thought to have started at the Amazing Thai and Japanese restaurant, though the coowner declined to talk further and a fire inspector with Pembroke Pines Fire Rescue would not comment about a possible cause.