Promising basketball player killed in shooting
The shots that rang out in Miami’s Overtown neighborhood late in the weekend ended the aspirations of a high school basketball player who was on the radar of college scouts, reports say.
Except for circulating a poster offering a reward of $3,000, Miami police have said little about the killing of 19-year-old Malcolm E. Nicholas III.
The drive-by shooting was reported shortly before 7:15 p.m. Sunday near Northwest 17th Street and Fifth Avenue, police said.
Nicholas had played at Miami Senior High School and at two other schools before moving to Tennessee to continue his education and improve his basketball skills, WPLG-Ch. 10 reported.
Nicholas was back in Miami during the weekend to visit relatives for a birthday celebration, reports said.
He had been attending a prep academy in Tennessee and had offers to play basketball from at least two Division 1 colleges, WTVJCh. 6 reported.