Young professionals unite to celebrate old landmark
After a successful kickoff event broughtmore than 50 of Palm Beach County’s young professionals together, the Young Friends of the Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse will host its second social.
It will take place Aug. 26 from 6 to 8 p.m. at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., 1065 Florida A1A in Jupiter.
The August social will allow young professionals who share a passion for the unique culture and history of Jupiter to network while overlooking the inlet and historic Jupiter Lighthouse.
Guests will receive one drink and hors d’oeuvres. The screened-in back patio of Bubba Gump features an atmosphere suited for lounging and socializing, with a view of the lighthouse - a symbolic structure for the town of Jupiter.
Admission is $10 for members of the Young Friends of the Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse and $15 others. Proceeds will benefit the Loxahatchee RiverHistorical Society, the nonprofit organization charged with operations and funding for the Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse and Museum.
Registration is required by emailing yfjupiterlighthouse @gmail.com.
The Young Friends group was established in June 2013 to bring new energy to the 153-year-old landmark through various volunteer and fundraising projects.
“For many of us that were raised in Palm Beach County, and even those who are new to the area, the Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse symbolizes home,” said Tami Borland, chairwoman of the group. “It’s important to engage the community in further preserving this rich, beautiful piece of history in our backyard.”
The Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse is one of only 30 remaining historic lighthouses dotted along Florida’s 1,197 miles of coast. For thousands of years the point of land sitting at the junction of the Indian and Loxahatchee Rivers and Jupiter Inlet had been home for ancient Indian tribes. Then in 1849 the strategic site was recommended as a suitable place for military defenses. President Franklin Pierce signed the order to set aside a 61.5-acre site on the Fort Jupiter Reservation for a lighthouse in 1854. The tower was completed in May 1860 and was first lit on July 10 that same year.
To learnmore about the group, call 561-262-5225 or visit www.jupiterlighthouse.org.
Brittany Miller, left, and Lindsey Bader
Heather Robbins, left, Liz Folmar, Vinnie Tursi and Ashley Hess
Dan Uzzi, left, and Amyleigh Atwater