KIHS JV lacrosse season canceled
STEVENSVILLE — The investigation into an April 13 assault in the boys locker room at Kent Island High School is continuing, but Principal John R. Schrecongost announced Friday, April 20, the junior varsity boy’s lacrosse team will forfeit the remainder of the season effective immediately, meaning they would not play Friday’s game against Stephen Decatur.
“While not all players were involved, a significant number were actively or passively engaged in highly inexcusable behavior. This type of behavior will not be tolerated for any athletic team or student group within Queen Anne’s County Public Schools,” Schrecongost wrote in a letter to families.
One or more cell phone videos of the incident were circulated on various social media platforms. In the video, a group of boys are
“The behavior on the video, which was witnessed by thousands of people via social media and the news media, is not condoned and will not be ignored.” Dr. Andrea Kane Queen Anne’s Superintendent of Schools
shown pinning down and holding another boy while other boys rub their private parts in his face.
“This type of behavior will not be tolerated for any athletic team or student group within Queen Anne’s County Public Schools. The behavior on the video, which was witnessed by thousands of people via social media and the news media, is not condoned and will not be ignored,” said Dr. Andea Kane, superintendent of schools, in a statement.
The lacrosse season was about half over with just five or six games remaining. Friday evening the entire schedule had been deleted from the Digital Sports website.
Schrecongost also addressed students in his letter, “please be reminded how important it is to adhere to appropriate social media conduct.”
He asked parents to continue to review proper social media etiquette with their teens.
The perception of some has been the incident was staged for video with the intent to humiliate the victim, while others contend the video was taken as proof of the bad acts happening, and yet others say school officials seem more upset that the incident was videoed — and hence people found out about it — than in the incident itself.
Parents are furious school officials didn’t report the incident to police when it happened. Instead, Queen Anne’s County Sheriff Gary Hofmann learned of it Sunday afternoon, April 15, after being contacted by a private citizen who had seen the video.
“The criminal investigation began immediately upon us receiving the video and is ongoing by my office’s Criminal Investigation section and the School Resource Unit,” Hofmann said.
Both Hofmann and State’s Attorney Lance Richardson have stressed much of the information about the case will remain confidential because it involves juveniles.
“Many times a complex investigation includes inter views of multiple witnesses, persons of interest, suspects and collection of evidence The time required to be thorough with this process may at times give onlookers with little knowledge of the criminal justice system the impression that no action is being taken. There can be nothing further from the truth,” Hofmann said in a post on the Sheriff’s Office Facebook page Friday.
Kane echoed Hofmann and Richardson on the confidential nature of juvenile matters.
“It is important for the public to know that matters involving specific students are subject to federal privacy laws (FERPA), therefore details of the investigation cannot be disclosed. It is the goal of the school system to handle this matter justly; with respect and compassion toward the victim and with fairness toward all involved,” she said.
She added the safety and wellbeing of all county public school students remains her primary concern.
DR. ANDREA KANE