W/ CLAY SCHMITZ
Clay Schmitz lives an eccentric life for a father. Between bouts splashing around in the Pacific with his two-year-old son, Schmitz finds time to SUP, foil, shoot video and make his own gadgets, not to mention his passion for kung fu. Between his own toys
1) 2001 Mercedes ML320. I previously had a pickup with a shell for over a decade. At 260,000 miles the engine died. I’m stoked to gain 50 percent in fuel efficiency, but I now have Sprinter van envy.
2) Foil Science hydrofoil. This isn’t on the market yet, but will be. I have seen Jeff Clark and company doing foil surfing that has blown my mind. It’s great to be part of this pioneering evolution.
3) Ries custom wood tripod. This is great for windy days and long telephoto lens shots.
4) Martial arts gear bag. My kung fu studio is really close to the beach, so I carry kung fu gear with me. What’s in the bag, you ask? Head to toe pads, rubber knife, tennis ball, six feet of rope, blindfold and duct tape ( just in case).
5) Kialoa blended shaft and narrow blade. I love a durable, flexible shaft and a blade with a soft catch. After breaking several paddles, I’m stoked on how strong and light these are.
6) Stretch 8’11” SUP. The tail on this board was inspired by shaper Ben Aipa. I’m in love with this board and am able to do turns I have been dreaming about for years.
7) Bamboo Gopro attachments. I wanted to capture surfing in a way that would inspire folks to join me on downwinders and in heavy beachbreak, so I made these.
8) Land paddleboard. I’m tall and with my long limbs I needed a skateboard that can hold turns like a surfboard. So I hacked together this hill carver and land SUP that rips.
9) Bamboo land paddle. Using a land paddle is great training for paddle turns. I made this and I’m working my way towards making a bamboo water paddle. Learning to build with renewable plants is very important to me.
10) Wetsuits. I have my Patagonia R4 for winters in Nor Cal, and the little guy wetsuit so we can play in the waves together. The bucket is also for the beach.
11) Scooter. Our toddler’s favorite ride. He’s two years old and has a blast scooting all over the neighborhood.
AGE: 45 HOMETOWN: CASTRO VALLEY, CA