WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE LOCAL PADDLER AND WHY?
1. KARI DIPALMA AGE: 43 HOMETOWN: WASHINGTON D.C./AGUADILLA, PUERTO RICO OCCUPATION: CONSULTANT
“Adrian Garcia. He is the epitome of a kind spirit and really loves this island. He also catches sick waves and goes out in 18- to 20-foot waves on his paddleboard.”
2. FATHER KEVIN GABRIEL GILLEN AGE: 51 HOMETOWN: ROCKAWAY BEACH, NEW YORK OCCUPATION: DOMINICAN FRIAR
“Mike Redpath is a New York fifireman and I got him into SUP surfifing. Everybody knows him, he’s out there all winter long. Sometimes he uses me as an excuse to get out because he tells his wife, ‘Hey, I’m out with Father.’”
3. ADRIAN GARCIA AGE: 41 HOMETOWN: AGUADILLA, PUERTO RICO OCCUPATION: ORTHOPEDIC ASSISTANT
“My favorite paddler is Greg Carson. He is a gentleman inside and outside the water, and he’s also one of the pioneers here in Puerto Rico.”
4. AMY WORTHINGTON AGE: 27 HOMETOWN: RINCÓN, PUERTO RICO / NEW YORK OCCUPATION: SUP RENTAL SHOP MANAGER
“Gina Bradley. She’s one of the original paddlers from Long Island who brought SUP to women. She runs Paddle Diva and not only gets women on the ocean, but uses the opportunity to talk about ocean stewardship.”
5. ALBERT LASH AGE: 38 HOMETOWN: RINCÓN, PUERTO RICO OCCUPATION: SUP RENTAL AND TOUR BUSINESS OWNER
“Darren Muschett. He was a pro surfer and takes really good photos. You’ll see him out there when it’s huge, he can do everything. He is one of the best young surf photographers out there.”
6. MARK DE ARMAS AGE: 52 HOMETOWN: AGUADILLA, PUERTO RICO OCCUPATION: QUARRY MACHINERY DEALER
“Xavier Lay. The Federation of Surfifing Puerto Rico SUP director’s dedication to the youth in Puerto Rico has been inspirational. Xavier formed the National Junior SUP race and surfifing circuit, coordinated the SUP team’s participation in the 2016 ISAS and was critical in the formation of the Puerto Rico Olympic Team for 2019.
2 4 6
1 3 5