Mile-high Chicken Potpie
Classic chicken potpie gets extra homey loaded with creamy filling and baked super tall in a springform pan. It’s impressive and perfect for Sunday dinners. —Shannon Roum,
Taste of Home Food Stylist
Prep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min. + standing Makes: 6 servings
1 large egg, separated
4 to 6 Tbsp. cold water, divided 2 cups all-purpose flour 1/4 tsp. salt ²/3 cup cold butter, cubed
FILLING 3 Tbsp. butter 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-in. cubes 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped onion 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour 2 Tbsp. chicken bouillon
11/2 tsp. dried tarragon
1/2 tsp. coarsely ground pepper 11/2 cups half-and-half cream
21/2 cups cubed cooked chicken 11/2 cups fresh or frozen peas
1/2 to 1 tsp. celery seed
1. In a small bowl, beat egg yolk with 2 Tbsp. water. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add yolk mixture, tossing with a fork; add additional water 1 Tbsp. at a time, as needed, until dough forms a ball. Divide dough into two portions, one with three-quarters of the dough and one with the remainder. Shape each into a disk; cover and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
2. For filling, in a Dutch oven, melt butter. Saute the potatoes, carrots, celery and onion until crisp-tender, 5-7 minutes. Stir in the flour, bouillon, tarragon and pepper. Gradually stir in the cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in chicken and peas and set aside; allow to cool completely.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the larger portion of dough to fit the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 8-in. springform pan. Add cooled filling. Roll the remaining dough to fit over the top; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge; cut slits in top. Chill for at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 400°. Lightly beat egg white with 1 tsp. water. Brush over the top crust; sprinkle with celery seed. Place pie on a rimmed baking tray.
5. Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 50-55 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before serving.
1 piece: 700 cal., 38g fat (22g sat. fat), 183mg chol., 1282mg sod., 58g carb. (8g sugars, 6g fiber), 29g pro.