It’s hard to find a dinner my husband and kids will all enjoy—and it’s even harder to find one that’s fast and easy. This is it! —Esther Erani, Brooklyn, NY
Prep: 20 min.
• Cook: 5 hours Makes: 6 servings
1/4 cup za’atar seasoning
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
3 lbs. bone-in chicken thighs
1 cup pimiento-stuffed olives
1/2 cup dried apricots
1/2 cup pitted dried plums
1/4 cup water Hot cooked basmati rice, optional
1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Add the chicken and toss to coat.
2. Arrange olives, apricots and plums on the bottom of a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add 1/4 cup water; top with chicken. Cook, covered, on low or until the chicken is tender, 5-6 hours. If desired, serve with rice. 1 serving: 484 cal., 32g fat (7g sat. fat), 107mg chol., 1367mg sod., 18g carb. (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g pro. Test Kitchen tips:
• Make your own za’atar seasoning by mixing 1 Tbsp. each fresh chopped oregano, ground sumac, ground cumin and sesame seeds; and 1 tsp. each kosher salt and ground pepper.
• Za’atar seasoning may become your new favorite spice. Add it to melted butter and toss with popcorn, mix it with olive oil for a dipping sauce or toss it with potatoes before roasting.