Bay­hawks clinch play­off spot

The Avenue News - - FRONT PAGE - By BILL GATES bgates@ches­

Ken­wood and Ch­e­sa­peake both suf­fered painful losses in their re­spec­tive reg­u­larsea­son foot­ball fi­nales last week. But while the Blue­birds lost a chance to fin­ish at .500, the Bay­hawks could con­sole them­selves by pre­par­ing for the re­gional play­offs.

Ch­e­sa­peake (8-2) lost to visit­ing Here­ford on Satur­day 22-20 in over­time. The loss ended the Bay­hawks eight-game win­ning streak, but they still fin­ished with the third seed in the Class 1A North Re­gion stand­ings.

The Bay­hawks will play at sec­ond-seeded Dun­bar (8-1) on Fri­day at 1 p.m. at Un­der Ar­mour Field. The win­ner will play in the re­gional cham­pi­onship game against ei­ther top-seeded Regi­nald Lewis (10-0) or fourth-seeded Over­lea.

It is the first play­off ap­pear­ance for Ch­e­sa­peake since the 2011 sea­son.

Against Here­ford, a win slipped away due to a num­ber of mis­takes. The big­gest was a de­fen­sive lapse in the third quar­ter shortly af­ter the Bay­hawks had taken an 8-7 lead.

Dur­ing an in­jury time­out, the Ch­e­sa­peake de­fense lost track of a Here­ford re­ceiver split wide right. When play re­sumed, no Bay­hawk de­fender cov­ered him and the re­sult was a 53-yard touch­down pass and a 14-8 Here­ford lead.

That play was es­sen­tially the only of­fense the Bulls man­aged in the last three quar­ters of reg­u­la­tion.

Ch­e­sa­peake re­sponded with a 10-play, 65-yard drive that ended with a 16-yard touch­down pass from Robert Mor­ris to Daniel Mered­ith.

But the Bay­hawls were stopped on the two-point con­ver­sion at­tempt, leav­ing the score tied at 14-14.

Ch­e­sa­peake drove in­side the Here­ford 25-yard line twice in the fourth quar­ter, with­out scor­ing. The Bay­hawks lost a fum­ble at the Bulls 24, and turned the ball over on downs at the Her­ford 19.

In over­time, Ch­e­sa­peake took a 20-14 lead on a sev­en­yard run by Adrian Scott. But the Bay­hawks again came up short on the two- point con­ver­sion at­tempt.

On their pos­ses­sion in over­time, the Bulls scored on fourth down from the four-yard line. The Bay­hawks were cited for be­ing off­side on three straight Here­ford ex­tra-point at­tempts; the Bulls fi­nally ran the ball in from the one-yard line for the win­ning points.

Here­ford had taken a 7-0 lead on a 17-play, 90-yard drive that started in the first quar­ter and ended mid­way through the sec­ond quar­ter.

Ch­e­sa­peake took the lead early in the third quar­ter, as Joshua Jones blocked a punt and re­turned it 30 yards for a touch­down, Shina Aguda scored the two-point con­ver- sion.

For Ken­wood, only six yards sep­a­rated the Blue­birds from fin­ish­ing with a 5-5 record. In­stead, a stag­ger­ing re­ver­sal of for­tune led to a 22-18 de­feat against visit­ing Dun­dalk on Fri­day.

Lead­ing 6-0, Ken­wood faced a fourth and goal from the Owl six-yard line. Go- ing for a touch­down, Ken­wood’s pass was in­ter­cepted by Dun­dalk’s De’Jion Mered­ith, who re­turned it 100 yards for a touch­down and a 7-6 Dun­dalk lead.

Sud­denly, af­ter over three quar­ters of a de­fen­sive strug­gle, the teams com­bined for five touch­downs in the last nine min­utes.

It took Ken­wood two plays to re­gain the lead, as Adam Harter con­nected with Wal­ter Scheuer­man for a 68yard touch­down pass to put the Blue­birds up 12-7.

It took Dun­dalk three plays to re­spond, driv­ing 65 yards and adding a two-point con­ver­sion to go ahead 15-12.

Ken­wood was forced to punt, and Dun­dalk ap­peared to clinch the game on a 29yard touch­down run with 1:51 re­main­ing in the game.

But Harter tossed a 38yard touch­down pass to Scheuer­man with one minute re­main­ing. Dun­dalk re­cov­ered the on­side kick, how­ever, and ran out the clock.

East­ern Tech (5-5) went out on a win­ning note, beat­ing Western Tech 43-0 to end a three-game los­ing streak.


Adrian Scott scores a touch­down in over­time for Ch­e­sa­peake against Here­ford.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.