Man faces mur­der trial

The Boyertown Area Times - - FRONT PAGE - By Dig­i­tal First Me­dia staff

A man ac­cused of killing his girl­friend’s fa­ther in De­cem­ber 2017 will stand trial for mur­der, a judge has ruled.

Matthew Boyer, 32, of Dou­glass (Berks) Town­ship, faced a pre­lim­i­nary hear­ing on Tues­day be­fore District Judge Michael Hart­man, where he was de­nied bail and held on charges of first-, sec­ond- and third-de­gree mur­der as well as ag­gra­vated as­sault, bur­glary, pos­ses­sion of a weapon, reck­lessly en­dan­ger­ing an­other per­son and firearms not to be car­ried with­out a li­cense, ac­cord­ing to court records.

Ac­cord­ing to pre­vi­ous re­ports by Dig­i­tal First Me­dia, the af­fi­davit of prob­a­ble cause stated po­lice were called to a res­i­dence on the 100 block of Cleaver School Road in Cole­brook­dale Town­ship at ap­prox­i­mately 6:48 a.m. on Dec. 28.

Once in­side the home of­fi­cers went up­stairs and found the vic­tim, Stephen Kriebel, 58, ly­ing on the floor near a base­ball bat. Of­fi­cers said they saw blood on the walls and could smell gun pow­der. Kriebel’s wife, iden­ti­fied as Vir­ginia Kriebel, was nearby cry­ing, po­lice said.

Kriebel told po­lice that she and her hus­band had been sleep­ing when a man ap­peared in their bed­room and started yelling. She said that Stephen Kriebel then got out of bed and the in­truder started swing­ing a base­ball bat. At some point, she said she heard a “pop” and when the strug­gle ended, Vir­ginia Kriebel en­tered a sec­ond bed­room, turned on the light and iden­ti­fied the in­truder as their daugh­ter’s boyfriend, Matthew Boyer, au­thor­i­ties said.

Boyer left the res­i­dence in a gray Chevro­let Mal­ibu and was later taken into cus­tody, ac­cord­ing to po­lice.

In an in­ter­view with po­lice, Boyer said that he left his house at around 6:30 a.m. Be­fore leav­ing, he gath­ered a bag that con­tained a ski mask, his gun and a knife. He then drove to the vic­tim’s home and at­tempted to en­ter through a base­ment door but it was locked. He went to the front door and used his girl­friend’s key to un­lock the door. Boyer then pro­ceeded up­stairs where the al­ter­ca­tion en­sued, ac­cord­ing to the af­fi­davit of prob­a­ble cause.

Dur­ing the al­ter­ca­tion, Boyer ad­mit­ted to shoot­ing Kriebel five to six times af­ter hit­ting him with the bat. He said af­ter leav­ing, his

first thought was to turn him­self in to po­lice but he wanted to talk to his girl­friend. When he ar­rived home, po­lice were al­ready there.

Boyer re­mains in Berks County Jail and is sched­uled for for­mal ar­raign­ment on May 1.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.