Tips for making pie dough
• Have all the ingredients well-chilled, including the flour. Cut the butter and shortening in pieces and stick them in the freezer to chill them.
• If using a food processor, place plastic wrap over the work bowl. This way the flour won’t fly all over.
• Add only enough liquid so the dough comes together.
• Shape the dough into a disk – not a ball – wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
• Roll out the dough between pieces of plastic wrap or wax paper to make transferring it to the pie pan simple.
• To prevent soggy-bottom crusts, brush with beaten egg white before adding the filling and bake the pie in the lower third of the oven.