9 yrs dealt for threats against cops

H-town man aimed shot­gun at deputies

The Calvert Recorder - - Front Page - By AN­DREW CEPHAS acephas@somd­news.com

A Hunt­ing­town man who pointed his shot­gun at deputies and threat­ened to “shoot it out” with them in Jan­uary was sen­tenced to nine ac­tive years of in­car­cer­a­tion last week in cir­cuit court.

Dou­glas Eu­gene Jones, 53, was in­dicted on dou­ble counts of first-de­gree as­sault and a sin­gle count of il­le­gally pos­sess­ing a shot­gun as a felon, ac­cord­ing to court records.

The Calvert County Con­trol Cen­ter was con­tacted via tele­phone around 3:30 p.m. Jan. 2 with a re­port that Jones was at a res­i­dence on the 200 block of Ponds Wood Road in Hunt­ing­town caus­ing a dis­tur­bance. The caller said Jones was in pos­ses­sion of a gun and told po­lice he had a phys­i­cal do­mes­tic in­ci­dent with at least one per­son in the res­i­dence, charg­ing doc­u­ments state.

The caller said Jones re­trieved a shot­gun from a garage on the prop­erty and at­tempted to en­ter the home. Of­fi­cers es­tab­lished a perime­ter around the res­i­dence

when they ar­rived af­ter ob­serv­ing Jones walk­ing around the prop­erty with a shot­gun. Au­thor­i­ties iden­ti­fied them­selves as law en­force­ment and or­dered Jones to put his weapon down sev­eral times, ac­cord­ing to the doc­u­ments.

Jones walked down the

drive­way to­ward of­fi­cers sev­eral times, point­ing his firearm at three or more of­fi­cers from both the sher­iff’s of­fice and Mary­land State Po­lice. Ad­di­tional of­fi­cers ar­rived on scene and de­manded Jones drop the weapon. Af­ter 20 minutes, he dropped his gun and laid on the ground, at which time he was ar­rested. The shot­gun was loaded with three rounds in the cham­ber and in the gun’s in­ter-

nal mag­a­zine.

Of­fi­cers no­ticed the strong odor of al­co­hol on his breath and per­son, along with blood­shot eyes and slurred speech. Jones was trans­ported to the sher­iff’s of­fice at 3:49 p.m. and placed in a cell, ac­cord­ing to the doc­u­ments.

A de­tec­tive with the sher­iff’s of­fice en­tered the cell block at 4:30 p.m., at­tempt­ing to in­ter­view Jones. Due to the strong

odor of al­co­hol in the area, the of­fi­cer called Jones’ name, prompt­ing him to abruptly stand up and say ex­ple­tives, re­fus­ing to talk to the de­tec­tive, the doc­u­ments de­tail.

Jones con­tin­ued talk­ing, al­though the de­tec­tive re­ported not be­ing able to un­der­stand any­thing he said ex­cept a re­quest for a beer. Af­ter search­ing Jones’ name in the de­part­men­tal data­base,

au­thor­i­ties saw he is pro­hib­ited from pos­sess­ing a firearm for a 2003 third-de­gree sex of­fense he pled guilty to in cir­cuit court.

With Calvert County State’s At­tor­ney Laura Martin (R) pros­e­cut­ing, Jones pled guilty to first-de­gree as­sault on a law en­force­ment of­fi­cer and pos­ses­sion of a firearm af­ter con­vic­tion of a dis­qual­i­fy­ing crime April 28 in cir­cuit court. A pre-sen­tence in- ves­ti­ga­tion was com­pleted be­fore his sen­tenc­ing.

Last Friday, Jones re­ceived 18 years of in­car­cer­a­tion with all but eight years sus­pended for the as­sault charge, along with a con­sec­u­tive four years of in­car­cer­a­tion with all but one year sus­pended for the firearm vi­o­la­tion. Fol­low­ing his nine-year prison sen­tence, Jones will be on five years of su­per­vised pro­ba­tion.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.