Man who pointed gun at group sen­tenced

Hunt­ing­town res­i­dent gets six months

The Calvert Recorder - - Front Page - By AN­DREW CEPHAS acephas@somd­

Fol­low­ing a Fe­bru­ary in­ci­dent where he aimed a cocked shot­gun at a group of peo­ple com­posed of at least six ju­ve­niles, a Hunt­ing­town man will serve six months in the Calvert County De­ten­tion Cen­ter.

Nathan Cameron Coates, 55, was in­dicted on charges of first-de­gree as­sault, use of a firearm dur­ing a felony or vi­o­lent crime, pos­ses­sion of a ri­fle/shot­gun with a felony con­vic­tion, pos­ses­sion of a ri­fle or shot­gun by a dis­qual­i­fied per­son, se­cond-de­gree as­sault, reck­less en­dan­ger­ment and en­dan­ger­ing while in­tox­i­cated, on­line court records show.

Of­fi­cers from the Calvert County Sher­iff’s Of­fice and the Mary­land State Po­lice Prince Fred­er­ick bar­rack re­sponded to the 3000 block of Solomons Is­land Road Feb. 19 for the re­port of a do­mes­tic dis­pute and se­cond-de­gree as­sault, pre­vi­ous re­ports de­tail.

Tfc. James War­rick made con­tact with Coates, who said he was leav­ing and had been

ar­gu­ing with his son. Coates had blood­shot, glassy eyes and slurred speech, and he re­fused to speak fur­ther about the in­ci­dent, ac­cord­ing to pre­vi­ous re­ports. A strong odor of al­co­hol was de­tected on Coates’ breath and per­son.

War­rick then made con­tact with the vic­tim, who said he got into a heated ar­gu­ment with Coates re­gard­ing his re­ported in­fi­delity. The vic­tim called the po­lice and re­ported a knife in Coates’ pos­ses­sion, prompt­ing Coates to re­trieve a shot­gun from inside the res­i­dence, the re­ports de­tail.

The vic­tim said Coates pointed the shot­gun at a group of nine peo­ple who

were stand­ing in front of the neigh­bor’s house be­fore sub­se­quently load­ing the firearm and cock­ing it. The fam­ily was out­side the res­i­dence pre­par­ing for a kick­ball game when the in­ci­dent oc­curred. Among the group was a 12-year-old, an 8-year-old, two 6-year-olds and two 2-year-olds, the court records de­tail.

A short time later, the vic­tim’s un­cle walked

over, took the shot­gun from Coates and locked it in a nearby shed, ac­cord­ing to the re­ports. The un­cle re­trieved the Spring­field Ar­mory model 67 se­ries E shot­gun from the shed and turned it over to War­rick, adding he could not find any am­mu­ni­tion. The shot­gun ap­peared un­loaded at first glance, but the fore-end was for­ward, the mag­a­zine was empty and the bolt was

locked for­ward.

The firearm was taken to the bar­rack and dis­as­sem­bled to en­sure it was ren­dered safe prior to pack­ag­ing. A shot­gun shell was still in the cham­ber, but the weapon was un­able to be dis­as­sem­bled enough to safely re­move the shell to de­ter­mine if it was live or spent, pre­vi­ous re­ports state.

Coates sub­mit­ted to a pre­lim­i­nary breath test, which elicited a .16 breath al­co­hol con­cen­tra­tion, and was sub­se­quently taken to the de­ten­tion cen­ter. He was given a $20,000 bail at his Feb. 21 bail re­view, which he posted that day.

A guilty plea was en­tered by Coates to the pos­ses­sion of a shot­gun af­ter hav­ing a dis­qual­ify- ing con­vic­tion that pro­hibits him from pos­sess­ing a firearm on Aug. 4. Court records show that Coates is dis­qual­i­fied from pos­sess­ing a ri­fle or shot­gun for this charge as well as a reck­less en­dan­ger­ment charge from 2015, two se­cond-de­gree as­saults from 1997 and 1998, a bat­tery in­ci­dent from 1993 and reck­less en­dan­ger­ment in 1991.

A pre-sen­tence in­ves­ti­ga­tion was com­pleted be­fore Coates’ Oct. 27 sen­tenc­ing where he was dealt an 18-month sen­tence with all but six months sus­pended. The shot­gun was also for­feited as part of the plea. Coates will be on three years of su­per­vised pro­ba­tion upon his re­lease.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.