A look at the beginnings of the Recorder newspaper
“In the spring of 1869, Charles Jones rented a small room over a drugstore owned and operated by James W. Harry. Harry’s Drug Store was located on Fayette Street at Elm, opposite the original Methodist Church. Jones bought material for a job printing office, including a Gordon jobber and a secondhand Washington hand press. Before Jones could fully set up shop, he had more business than he could handle. This information came directly from Charles Jones as he told Recorder readers back in 1904.
“Most of his work came from Harry’s Drug Store, and, when business slowed up a bit, Squire Heywood (who would later buy the newspaper) would often keep young Jones busy with work. When John Wood, Jr., approached Jones to generate a large circular describing a patent he was introducing, Jones hired William Davis of Norristown to help him in the print shop. By the fall of 1869, many of the prominent businessmen had encouraged Jones to print a weekly paper, and on Dec. 16, 1869, with the help of William Davis, Jones produced 400 copies of the Conshohocken Recorder newspaper.”
As Coll tells it, “Within the first 20 years of existence, the Recorder had five different owners, and nine different principals published the paper.” In its earliest days, the publication was called the Weekly Recorder. It eventually became part of Intercounty Newspaper Group.