Carter wins mayor’s seat
Whatley, Dalton victorious in respective races
Kim Carter defeated Roger Tingler to win the Covington mayoral election Tuesday night.
With 1,309 votes cast in the mayoral election, Carter, a local businesswoman, captured 57.75 percent of the vote and Tingler, who has served on the city council for nearly 20 years, took 42.17 percent of the vote. The remaining .08 percent of the votes cast were for writein candidates.
Incumbent Mike Whatley defeated challenger Bobby Sigman for the Council Post 2 East Ward seat.
With 864 votes cast in the race, Whatley captured 61.69 percent of the votes, leaving perennial candidate Sigman with 38.08 percent of the votes.
Former Oxford Police Chief Keith Dalton defeated Newton County GIS Coordinator Ernie Smith for the Council Post 3 East Ward seat.
With 835 votes cast in the race, Dalton captured 69.7 percent of the vote and Smith took 30.06 percent of the votes.
Running unopposed for re- election to the Council Post 1 West Ward seat, Janet Goodman captured 98.74 percent of the 318 votes cast.
The results of the Covington municipal elections were announced to Carter, Tingler, Smith and a gathered crowd of approximately 30 campaign supporters and interested members of the public at 8: 15 p. m. at the Newton County Board of Elections.
After learning of her victory Carter exchanged a warm handshake with her opponent Tingler.
“ I’m honored and thrilled to be elected,” said Carter after the announcement. “ I will serve the citizens of Covington to the very best of my ability.”
Carter added she couldn’t have won without the support of her campaign staff.
Incumbent Bobby Hamby defeated challenger James Himes in the Porterdale mayoral elections.
With 163 votes cast, Hamby captured 61 percent of the votes, leaving Himes with 39 percent.
Council Post 1 incumbent Robert Foxworth soundly defeated his challenger Andy Grimes for the second time in a row, capturing 72 percent of 161 votes cast in the race.
Linda Finger, a former candidate for mayor of Porterdale finally had her day when she defeated Jack Kottl for the Council Post 2 Seat.
With 168 votes cast in the race, Finger captured 59 percent of the votes and Kottl took home 41 percent.
A gathered crowd of approximately 25 gathered at the Porterdale Volunteer Fire Department for the announcement of the results at 8: 05 p. m.
“ I’m glad the voters turned out and voted the way they did,” said Hamby after the announcement of his win. “ I’ll do my best to do what I have promised to do and that’s to continue in the direction that the town’s been going in.”
Foxworth said it felt great to be re- elected again.
“ It feels real good and I’ve worked really hard the last four years for the town,” Foxworth said. “ I’m appreciative that the people see that and want me to represent them.
Finger was equally excited with the news of her victory but she also had a few words for the relatively low turnout of registered voters.
“ I appreciate everything that the residents of Porterdale have done,” Finger said. “ I wish we’d had more of a turnout. People need to be more involved in the community.”
There will be a runoff election for the Oxford Council Post 1 seat as no candidate captured over 51 percent of the votes. The runoff is between Frank Davis and incumbent Amma Gaither.
With 232 votes cast in the race, Davis was the clear favorite, capturing 48.3 per- cent of the votes.
Gaither came in second with 27.6 percent of the votes. Ellis came in third with 22.8 percent of the votes.
Council Post 3 incumbent Hoyt Oliver will hold onto his council seat for another four years after defeating challenger Toby Malcolm.
With 240 votes cast in the race, Oliver took home 52.9 percent of the votes leaving Malcolm with 47.1 percent.
Running unopposed for the position of Mayor of Oxford, Oxford Councilmember Jerry Roseberry won 100 percent of the 206 votes cast.
Also running unopposed Council Post 2 Incumbent George Holt won 100 percent of the 201 votes cast in his race.
A very small crowd of people gathered outside the Oxford Community Room to await the posting of the election results at 8: 10 p. m. None of the candidates were in attendance.
Victorious: Kim Carter, right, reacts with a smile to the news of her victory over Roger Tingler in the Covington mayoral elections Tuesday night at the Newton County Board of Elections.
Code of honor: Roger Tingler, left, shakes hands with Kim Carter, right, at the Board of Elections Tuesday evening moments after it was announced Carter had defeated Tingler by a margin of 756 to 552 votes in the City of Covington mayoral election.