Doc­tors as­sist se­cu­rity guard in bloody Is­raeli game

The Covington News - - SPORTS -

JERUSALEM — A se­cu­rity guard who shielded oth­ers when he picked up a fire­cracker that was thrown dur­ing a bas­ket­ball game will still have the use of three fin­gers on his man­gled hand, a hospi­tal of­fi­cial said Tues­day.

Yoav Gl­itzstein has been called a hero for grab­bing the homemade ex­plo­sive be­fore it could go off and pos­si­bly wound some of the play­ers, coaches and fans at the Jerusalem bas­ket­ball sta­dium.

The ex­plo­sive was thrown less than two min­utes be­fore the end of Sun­day’s game be­tween Hapoel Holon and Hapoel Jerusalem in Is­rael’s top pro­fes­sional league.

The live TV broad­cast cap­tured a loud boom, fol­lowed by a small cloud of white smoke and the sight of the guard fall­ing on his face at the side­line. Hor­ri­fied play­ers, coaches and fans shouted with dis­be­lief, and the game was not re­sumed.

Medics worked on Gl­itzstein at court­side, then rushed him to Hadas­sah Univer­sity Hospi­tal in Jerusalem, where surgery lasted nine hours. The lead sur­geon was Dr. Michael Chernofsky, who moved to Is­rael from New Jer­sey three years ago.

“He had se­vere dam­age to all of his five fin­gers. Two of them where in such a con­di­tion that there was noth­ing to do,” said Ron Krumer, a spokesman for Hadas­sah Hospi­tal. Doc­tors were able to save the other three, he said.

Yossi Malakh, a fan of visit- ing Holon, was ar­rested, and he con­fessed to throw­ing the ex­plo­sive, po­lice spokesman Micky Rosen­feld said.

Malakh, 20, cov­ered his face with his hood and cursed at re­porters and Is­rael’s left when con­fronted with TV cam­eras at court Mon­day.

Sports fig­ures and colum­nists also ex­pressed out­rage at the grow­ing vi­o­lence around Is­raeli sports. Fans have been in­jured in fist­fights in the stands, and smoke bombs have been thrown at bas­ket­ball and soc­cer games.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.