Red­skins safety dies a day af­ter be­ing shot

For­mal sen­tenc­ing will come on Dec. 10

The Covington News - - SPORTS - By Matt Sedensky

MI­AMI — Pro Bowl safety Sean Tay­lor died Tues­day af­ter he was shot in his home by an ap­par­ent in­truder, leav­ing the Wash­ing­ton Red­skins in mourn­ing for a team­mate who seemed to have re­ordered his life since be­com­ing a fa­ther.

The 24-year-old player died at Jack­son Me­mo­rial Hospi­tal, where he had been air­lifted af­ter the shoot­ing early Mon­day.

“It is with deep re­gret that a young man had to come to his end so soon,” fa­ther Pe­dro Tay­lor said in a state­ment on be­half of the fam­ily. “Many of his fans loved him be­cause the way he played foot­ball. Many of his op­po­nents feared him the way he ap­proached the game. Oth­ers mis­un­der­stood him, many ap­pre­ci­ated him and his fam­ily loved him.”

A string of mourn­ers, in­clud­ing Tay­lor’s fa­ther, vis­ited the player’s home and em­braced out­side. Au­thor­i­ties en­tered the home, but it was un­clear what they were do­ing.

NFL com­mis­sioner Roger Good­ell said the league will honor Tay­lor’s me­mory at all games this week­end.

“This is a ter­ri­ble tragedy in­volv­ing the loss of a young man who leaves be­hind many peo­ple strug­gling to un­der­stand it,” he said in a state­ment.

Tay­lor’s No. 21 will be painted in a grass park­ing area lead­ing into Red­skins Park in Ashburn, Va. In ad­di­tion, No. 21 will also be painted in front of the Red­skins Hall of Fame store.

Fans al­ready be­gan a makeshift me­mo­rial by lay­ing flow­ers on a field near the front en­trance to the prac­tice fa­cil­ity. Sev­eral peo­ple paid re­spects at Tay­lor’s park­ing space.

“This is the worst imag­in­able tragedy,” Red­skins owner Daniel Sny­der said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with Sean’s fam­ily.”

Red­skins team­mate Clin­ton Por­tis also played with Tay­lor at the Univer­sity of Mi­ami. He had sensed a new ma­tu­rity in his close friend.

“It’s hard to ex­pect a man to grow up overnight,” Por­tis said. “But ever since he had his child, it was like a new Sean, and ev­ery­body around here knew it. He was al­ways smil­ing, al­ways happy, al­ways talk­ing about his child.”

Two bou­quets were left by a palm tree out­side a front gate of the home. Be­side the mail-

tried sep­a­rately. No hear­ing dates were set.

Vick and the three code­fen­dants pleaded guilty to the fed­eral charge in U.S. Dis­trict Court in Rich­mond. In an Aug. 27 plea agree­ment, Vick ad­mit­ted bankrolling a dog­fight­ing en­ter­prise and pro­vid­ing gam­bling money, as well as help­ing to kill six to eight dogs.

Tues­day, 10 pro­test­ers from the an­i­mal-rights group Peo­ple for the Eth­i­cal Treat­ment of An­i­mals stood out­side the court­house in rural south­east­ern Vir­ginia. They held plac­ards with pic­tures of in­jured dogs and the mes­sages “Re­port Dog­fight­ers!” and “Dogs De­serve Jus­tice.”

“The mes­sage is loud and clear, that all dog­fight­ers must be pun­ished to the fullest ex­tent of the law, no mat­ter who they are,” PETA pro­tester Melissa Karpel said.

The dog­fight­ing op­er­a­tion known as Bad Newz Ken­nels op­er­ated since 2001 on Vick’s 15-acre spread in Surry County. A drug in­ves­ti­ga­tion of a Vick rel­a­tive led au­thor­i­ties to the prop­erty, where they found more than 50 pit bulls and equip­ment com­monly used in dog­fight­ing.

Vick was sus­pended in­def­i­nitely by the NFL with­out pay, and he lost sev­eral lu­cra­tive en­dorse­ment deals. Also, an ar­bi­tra­tor has ruled Vick should re­pay the Fal­cons nearly $20 mil­lion in bonus money.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.