Fitness program launched at Covington trucking company
With healthcare costs rising steadily and obesity and other diseases fast becoming commonplace, one trucking company in Covington has found a creative way to help employees improve their health and physical fitness. Con-way Freight has launched a wellness program which is becoming a popular part of the company’s overall safety program and culture. The national program recently expanded to Conway’s facility in Covington and this week the company kicks off a 10-week “biggest loser” competition called Choose to Lose.
In 2007, Con-way Freight teamed with Wellness Coaches USA to offer employees opportunities to voluntarily meet with a health and wellness coach. To date, more than 5,300 employees have attended a combined num- ber of 74,360 one-on-one coaching sessions. The results:
• 831 employees have lost a combined 6,269 pounds
• more than 170 employees have quit smoking
• 669 employees have reduced their blood pressure
• 80 percent decrease in workplace injuries and workers’ compensation costs
• 75 percent decline in lost work days.