Cov­ing­ton ap­plies for HUD money for for­closed homes

Use of golf carts also ap­proved on city streets

The Covington News - - Local news -

The Cov­ing­ton City Coun­cil and the New­ton County Board of Com­mis­sion­ers have jointly ap­plied for a grant from the U.S. Depart­ment of Hous­ing and Ur­ban De­vel­op­ment that would pro­vide emer­gency funds for the ac­quire­ment and re­de­vel­op­ment of fore­closed res­i­den­tial prop­er­ties.

The coun­cil ap­proved the ap­pli­ca­tion on Mon­day and the BOC did the same on Tues­day, as the grant ap­pli­ca­tion was due on Thurs­day.

Fund­ing from HUD was al­lo­cated to Ge­or­gia as part of the pas­sage of Ti­tle III of the Hous­ing and Eco­nomic Re­cov­ery act of 2008. Ge­or­gia has been awarded $77 mil­lion un­der HUD’s newly cre­ated Neigh- bor­hood Sta­bi­liza­tion Pro­gram. Some of the state’s spe­cially des­ig­nated “en­ti­tle­ment com­mu­ni­ties” could be re­ceiv­ing an­other $76 mil­lion in HUD al­lo­ca­tions.

Cov­ing­ton City Man­ager Steve Horton told the coun­cil that the amount of fund­ing they re­ceive, if awarded, will be based on a com­plex for­mula that will look at the num­ber and per­cent­age of home fore­clo­sures in each state or lo­cal­ity, the num­ber and per­cent­age of homes fi­nanced by sub­prime mortgages and the num­ber and per­cent­age of homes in de­fault or delin­quency.

Be­cause of Cov­ing­ton’s small size, Horton spec­u­lated the city could ex­pect at most, enough fund­ing to ac­quire a small hand­ful of fore­closed homes.

The for­mal award of theHUD grant to Ge­or­gia will take place on Jan. 15 next year. Once the grant is awarded, the city would be ob­li­gated to spend the emer­gency funds within 18 months. In other city coun­cil news: The coun­cil ap­proved the pas­sage of an or­di­nance al­low­ing for the use of mo­tor­ized golf carts on city streets along with reg­u­lar car traf­fic.

• The or­di­nance does not al­low the driv­ing of mo­tor­ized carts on side­walks or along spe­cially des­ig­nated streets that can be ref­er­enced by maps on file and avail­able for in­spec­tion at the Cov­ing­ton Po­lice Depart­ment.

• Only per­sons with a valid driv­ers li­cense or in­struc­tion per­mit may op­er­ate golf carts on city streets.

• Golf cart own­ers wish­ing to drive their carts on city streets must reg­is­ter them with CPD where they will be is­sued iden­ti­fi­ca­tion de­cals to be af­fixed to the sides of their cart. There is a regis­tra­tion fee of $15 for each cart.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.