Home­less man burned by heater

The Covington News - - Local News - By Am­ber Pittman apittman@cov­news.com

A home­less man suf­fered ex­ten­sive burns Satur­day night af­ter a por­ta­ble propane heater over­turned and set his tent on fire as he slept.

Ac­cord­ing to the Newton County Fire De­part- ment, the man suf­fered se­vere burns to his face, hand and leg with the worst burns to his face. The man was able to put the fire out but was re­port­edly un­able to call for help. He crawled to the in­ter­sec­tion of Ga. High­way 81 and Crow­ell Road where a passerby stopped to help.

The 56-year-old was taken by air am­bu­lance to Grady Me­mo­rial Hos­pi­tal in At­lanta. He had re­port­edly lived in the woods at that in­ter­sec­tion long enough to have ac­cu­mu­lated sev­eral be­long­ings, ac­cord­ing to fire­fight­ers.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.