Deep Dish Fresh Blueberry Pie
Ingredients 1 1/2 cups sugar 6 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
8 cups fresh Chilean blueberries Juice of 1 orange Pastry dough for a large double crust pie
1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon milk
1. Set the oven to 375 degrees.
2. In large mixing bowl, toss together sugar, tapioca, blueberries and juice.
3. Roll out pastry bottom on a well-floured surface to fit in pie dish. Place in the bottom of a 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie plate. Spoon filling into the pastry shell.
4. Chill while rolling out top layer of pastry. Cut out 5 or 6 small holes in pastry top using a decorative cookie cutter. Gently roll dough onto top of pie. Crimp edges of pastry to form a tight seal and decorative trim. Brush pie with egg and milk wash.
5. Bake pie on a tray for 45 to 50 minutes. The blueberry filling should be bubbly and the crust golden brown.
6. Cool before serving.