Cou­ple ar­rested af­ter draw­ing of­fi­cer’s eye in Waf­fle House

The Covington News - - Local news - By Am­ber Pittman apittman@cov­

A Cov­ing­ton Po­lice Of­fi­cer fin­ish­ing up his lunch break at the Waf­fle House was in the right place at the right time to catch a cou­ple break­ing the law early Satur­day morn­ing.

While sit­ting in a booth at the res­tau­rant fin­ish­ing his meal, the of­fi­cer no­ticed a man and a woman come in and sit in the booth next to him. He was im­me­di­ately struck by the over­whelm­ing odor of al­co­hol com­ing from the duo and also took note that both had red, glassy eyes, and both were squint­ing and ap­peared to have trou­ble keep­ing their eyes open, ac­cord­ing to re­ports.

Af­ter sit­ting, the cou­ple kept glanc­ing at the of­fi­cer and whis­per­ing to one an­other, and then got up and moved to a booth across the res­tau­rant. An em­ployee ap­proached the of­fi­cer and re­port­edly shared her con­cern about the cou­ple, ask­ing the of­fi­cer if he could stay there a bit longer and keep an eye on them.

Sev­eral min­utes later, the of­fi­cer heard a wait­ress dis­cussing an or­der prob­lem with the cook that came from the cou­ple’s ta­ble. When the wait­ress ap­proached the cou­ple with a menu, he heard the fe­male yell an ex­ple­tive loudly. At that point the of­fi­cer ap­proached the cou­ple and asked the fe­male what the prob­lem was.

The woman, iden­ti­fied as Betty Jack­son, be­came irate, ac­cord­ing to re­ports, and be­gan to raise her voice. Jack­son loudly de­nied hav­ing cursed, and when the of­fi­cer asked which of the two had driven to the res­tau­rant, she re­port­edly be­came even an­grier, al- leg­edly say­ing that she had driven to the res­tau­rant and that she had not been drink­ing.

She also re­port­edly told the of­fi­cer that “she was a tax­payer and that she paid his salary,” and that the of­fi­cer was “dis­crim­i­nat­ing against her.” At this point, the of­fi­cer called for backup to help deal with the sit­u­a­tion.

When the other of­fi­cer ar­rived, the two stood out­side and spoke. They could see that Jack­son was still be­ing “an­i­mated” in­side the res­tau­rant and went in­side to speak with her again. When the of­fi­cers told her to keep her voice down and not to drive any­where she re­port­edly said that she was go­ing to call her at­tor­ney and that they “could not treat her this way.”

Re­ports in­di­cate that Jack­son then got on her cell phone, di­aled a num­ber and asked to speak to some­one named “B.” In or­der to avoid any fur­ther con­flict in­side the res­tau­rant, the of­fi­cers walked out­side again and watched the park­ing lot to make sure the drunken duo didn’t drive.

Around 4:45 a.m., of­fi­cers watched as Jack­son, along with her com­pan­ion, Ti­mothy Stan­ford, got into a blue Mercedes and left the park­ing lot. They fol­lowed in a pa­trol car and watched as the car swerved over the cen­ter line twice be­fore ac­ti­vat­ing their blue lights and stop­ping the car on In­dus­trial Boule­vard.

When the of­fi­cer’s ap­proached, they saw that Stan­ford was in the driver’s seat and Jack­son was the pas­sen­ger in the ve­hi­cle. When asked for his li­cense and proof of in­surance, Stan­ford was un­able to pro­duce ei­ther. He was asked to step out of the car, and when he did, of­fi­cers noted that they could smell al­co­hol com­ing from Stan­ford and that Stan­ford ad­mit­ted he had “a few beers a cou­ple hours ear­lier” but could not tell of­fi­cers what time it was cur­rently.

He agreed to take a breath test but ac­cord­ing to re­ports, Stan­ford would not ac­tu­ally blow air into the straw. When con­fronted with this, he al­legedly told of­fi­cers that “his lungs would not let him,” and al­though of­fi­cers did note that Stan­ford had an in­haler, there was also a pack of cig­a­rettes on his per­son at the time.

Ac­cord­ing to re­ports, Stan­ford also had a sus­pended li­cense and pos­si­bly two war­rants for his ar­rest. Ad­di­tion­ally, dispatch warned the of­fi­cers that Stan­ford may also be us­ing an alias.

The of­fi­cers asked Jack­son to give them the cor­rect iden­tity of the driver and she re­port­edly re­fused to co­op­er­ate with them.

Both Stan­ford and Jack­son were ar­rested and trans­ported to the Newton County De­ten­tion Cen­ter. He was charged with DUI and sus­pended li­cense, she with ob­struct­ing a po­lice of­fi­cer.



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.