Meteorologists: severe weather approaches
Expect more scattered thunderstorms to roam about metro Atlanta today, but the greatest risk of severe storms will occur this evening, according to the National Weather Service.
Forecasters say that there's a 20 percent chance of strong to severe storms this afternoon, but an 80 percent chance of severe weather tonight in Newton County.
The forecasters are calling for severe weather between 4 p.m. and 4 a.m. Wednesday for a swath of Georgia from Columbus through Atlanta to Gainesville and Athens.
Scattered supercell thunderstorms in the afternoon may spawn tor- nadoes, damaging wind and large hail.
Overnight, a squall line may bring damaging wind, large hail and isolated tornadoes. Heavy rainfall is possible with the storms.
Storms will be triggered by daytime heating interacting with a moist, unstable air mass across the state.
The high should reach 85 today, with a low overnight of 64.
The FFA-FCCLA Center weather station in the county has received 15.39 inches of rain since the first of the year, about three inches short of average for the time period.
The stormy weather should give way to sun and a high of 75 on Thursday and of 79 for Friday and 82 on Saturday.