Oxford College names 3 halls
Oxford College is naming three residence halls that make up its East Village residential complex, located on a site at the intersections of Emory Street with Hamill Street and Moore Street, in honor of three administrators who served Oxford over the past five decades.
Two existing structures, which were completed in 2008, are now named Elizer Hall and Murdy Hall. A third residence hall soon to be built will be named Fleming Hall.
The names honor Bond Fleming, who served as Oxford College dean from 1966-1976; Marshall Elizer, who served from 19461978 in roles including lecturer in mathematics, director of student activities, and business manager; and William Murdy, who served as dean from 1987-1999 and professor of biology at Emory College from 1959-1987.
Murdy also served as Oxford mayor from 20052007, and prior to that, served on the City Council of Oxford.
“These three individuals exemplify the best qualities of those who have shaped Oxford College,” said Dean Stephen Bowen. “They were leaders in a transformative period in which Oxford College became what we know it as today.
“Women and minority students were welcomed and thrived, the educational model changed from a two-year standalone program to a fouryear Oxford College/Emory College program, and a Ph.D.-qualified faculty implemented higher educational standards.”
Fleming, Elizer and Murdy remained as residents of Oxford following their retirement. Murdy lives near Oxford College and participates frequently in its cultural and academic life.
The architectural firm for the project is Cooper Carry, and the construction firm is Brasfield & Gorrie, both of Atlanta. A ceremonial groundbreaking was held for Fleming Hall, located across Hamill Street from Elizer Hall, in late April.
Construction is set to begin by early August on the 206-bed facility, with completion expected in time for the fall semester in 2014.