Oxford to celebrate new library, academic commons
Oxford College will hold an open house for its new library and academic commons next Saturday, Aug. 24, at 3:30 p.m. to formally celebrate the end of a yearlong construction project.
The new library is nearly one-third larger than the former facility, which was completed in 1970.
The new facility was designed by architectural firm Collins Cooper Carusi.
The construction firm for the project was Brasfield & Gorrie.
Over the course of construction, the original two-story structure was completely gutted and 10,000 square feet added to the front, or east side, of the structure.
With this addition, the library more closely addresses the college quad.
Both the design and finishes of the exterior were selected to co-exist aesthetically with the two historic structures on either side: Phi Gamma Hall on the north side, built in 1851, and the Oxford College Chapel on the south side,
built in 1875. Interior spaces
On the first floor, in addition to the academic commons, are a special-collections reading room, a café and vending area, exhibit gallery, two research consultation rooms, and a catering kitchen to support receptions and other college functions.
On the north side of the first floor is the entrance to a patio designed to serve as an outdoor classroom or as additional seating and study space.
The second floor features a spacious balcony with seating, overlooking the academic commons on the floor below.
On this level are also two large, flexible, and technol- ogy-enriched classrooms; five tutor-support rooms and four group-study rooms with large-screen displays and laptop connections.
The group-study rooms include PC workstations.
Both levels include seating and study areas with large windows that provide natural light and wide views of the college’s woods to the west of the building.