Mo­torist spots house on fire at Starrsville

The Covington News - - LOOKING BACK -

De­tec­tion by a passer-by and ef­forts of Cov­ing­ton Fire Depart­ment were credited with keep­ing prop­erty dam­age at a min­i­mum in a fire which com­pletely de­mol­ished a com­par­a­tively new ten­ant house near the dairy barns and res­i­dence of D.B. Dixon, Jr. at Starrsville, Fri­day night, ac­cord­ing to Mr. Dixon.

The fire was spot­ted about 7:30 p.m. by Joe Jones, DHIA Tester, of Mon­roe, who was pass­ing the Dixon home in his car at the time. Upon ar­rival at the scene, Mr. Jones found Gray Barnes, 70 years old, a dairy and yard man, had been awak­ened by the smoke and fire and was at­tempt­ing to carry out his mattress. Be­cause of the dan­ger, Mr. Jones pre­vent- ed the el­derly man from fur­ther sal­vage at­tempts; and bed­ding was the only thing saved. The Dixons, who were hav­ing sup­per, were un­aware of the fire, un­til Mr. Jones’ ar­rival.

Mr. Dixon, who stated the $2,000 loss was par­tially cov­ered by insurance, ex­pressed his ap­pre­ci­a­tion of the co­op­er­a­tion of the Cov­ing­ton Fire Depart­ment and Chief R.T. Floyd, who stood by with the Depart­ment’s 12,000 gal­lon tanker un­til dan­ger of the dairy’s ad­di­tional ten­ant houses, and home’s ig­ni­tion from sparks had passed. High winds in­creased the dan­ger, but for­tu­nately held in a di­rec­tion fa­vor­able to con­fin­ing the blaze to the one build­ing.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.