Brickstore almost became Newton County seat
If Winton, (now known as Brickstore Community), established in 1818 had had an adequate water supply it might still be the county site of Newton!
Its early settlers, including the Graves, Graham, Middlebrooks, Glass, Juice, Paine, Hinton, Parker, Stanton, Burge, Perry and Story families, some dating back to the late 1700’s, had come from North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia. Most of these early settlers were not only people of wealth, but were highly cultured. Brickstore Store At Winton, Newton County’s first brick building was constructed by Solomon Graves and his sons, with bricks brought by ship form England; and was soon designated throughout this section as “Brickstore.” A D.A.R. tablet at the old stor, which stills tands, gives its history as follows:
“Thi tablet marks the trail of the stage coach cross roads from Charleston to New Orleans and from Ruckersville to Milledgeville, the state capital. To the rear stands the Brick Store, the first brick building in Newotn County, where the Newton County first Superior Court was held April 15, 1822, when it was decided to move the court to Newtonborough, now Covington.”
Unfortunately, the old Inn referred to int eh D.A.R. marker, no longer remains on the site.
The first Inferior Court, composed of the following justices — George Cunningham, Henry Lane, Larkin Dunn and W. Hammick, was held at Brickstore in March, 1822; and the county was in the Flint Circuit until the nineties, when Stone Mt. Circuit was formed.
Brick Store District, in 1870 had a population of 1,031: with 419 white and 612 negro.
In 1893, George C. Adams, father of Brickstore’s H. Grady Adams and Charles Adams, attended the World’s Fair in Chicago. When he returned he brought home a small electric light outfit — a Leyden wet battery and a small table lamp with a bulb about the size of a small marble. It made a light about the brightness of a match. This was Newton County’s first bona fide electric light, an early form of the modern electric light!
About the same time, the Adams family of 14 homes, installed a one line telephone system that connected each home, and ran to Dr. Ragsdale’s home in Starrsville. There was a different ring for each family, and a special ring for alarm.
Prior to March 13,1852, residents worshipped at Harris Springs, a Primitive Baptist, and Lane’s, a Methodist church. The new church, established on the above date, was named “Mt. Pleasant,” for the nearby Graves’ plantation of that name.
In 1861 the church was completely destroyed by fire set by a renegade slave, who also burned the home and gin house of John W. Hinton, a member of Mt. Pleasant. From that time until several years after the War Between the States, services were held in a schoolhouse, in the convergence of the Starrsville to Brickstore roads.
During this time in addition to names of early settlers, the following family names are found in the records: Cheney, Knox, Wadsworth, Ansley, Taylor, McConnell, Mitcham, Biggers, Gibson, Mithcell, Crenshaw, Walker, House, Patrick, Hay and leach.
The present Mt. Pleasant was erected in 1878; and other families are noted in records after that time, among them: Dyer, Sock- Community House
What is now the Brick Store Community Clubhouse originated as a school. In the beginning of the 19th century, schools in this country were conducted in the homes of patrons, each taking turn, and joining in paying a teacher.
Attendance soon necessitated a school building, which was constructed through community effort on Mt. Pleasant Church property. In 1905 G. Claude Adams, then county school superintendent, persuaded the church trustees to deed the property-some 2.3 acres, to the county.
In 1917, he with the help of neighbors, removed the upper story of the school, which was a two story building, and remodeled the building , which has since served as a community meeting place, now known as Brickstore Club house.
Even before the Smith-Lever Act of 1914, establishing Agricultural Extension work, Newton County had a domestic science teacher, Miss Clyde Willis, who held classes in homes of pupils of county schools. Appointed by the school board, under the The Hub
When Georgia Highway 11 was completed in 1935, a gas station was established at the junction of Georgia Highways 11 and 12, by Robert Stanton. Known as “The Hub”, it also provided living quarters for the family.
At the suggestion of officials of Southeaster Stages, the Hub in 1937; and at first served buses between Atlanta and Augusta. Soon buses were added on trips between Atlanta and Milledgeville; and Southern Trailways made the Hub a bus stop between Macon and Gainesville.
Quite naturally, bus lines worked out schedules for bus changes at the Hub. Shortly some 30 buses were stopping daily for rest stops and tickets, etc., as well as refreshments , World War II added to the number of buses, and at times there were 20 buses loading and unloading at the Hub, Robert Ripley established the Hub in his column of “Believe It or Not” as the world’s Landmarks
Mt. Pleasant Plantation was the name Solomon Graves gave the 7,500 acre land grant given by the King of England, when he came Georgia’s finest, with a beautiful antebellum home, which had 21 rooms in its three story structure; and homes for the many slaves, nearby.
The home was one of the few left standing by Sherman, in his march to the sea; and owes its century plus preservation to a request form a mutual friend of the Graves and Sherman, that it be spared.
During the past century when the boll weevil came; cotton was dethroned; and many of the Graves pioneers finished their earthly tasks, the holdings dwindled though sales until 1958, when he remained 426 acres were purchased by the Walter Emmels, who came from the west to make a new life in west to make a new life in Georgia.
One of the prime attractions of the place for the attractions of the place for the Emmels is a giant oak tree in the back yard, 29 feet in circumference and estimated to be 150 years old. They
well, Cook, Adams, Stanton, Stewart, and Neal. capable leadership of the late J. O. Martin, county school commissioen (now co. school superintendent), she taught sewing, cooking, canning and handcrafts.
Brickstore Home Demonstration Club was organized in 1917, with Miss Margeret Burge as County Agent. largest rural bus station. The property still is owned by Robert Stanton and operated by his sons, Robert Stanton, Jr. have wired it against lightening damage.
Stroudburn, Stroud – name given creek by young English surveyor, who made survey of this section of Georgia for the king of England, Burn- Scottish for “Small Creek”) is located some three miles north of Hub Junction at intersection of Ga. Highway 11 and U.S. 278. Stroudburn, encompassing some 835 acres, is part of the original Graves, Paine and Elmo Chapman holdings, purchased in 1951-62 holdings, purchased in 1951-62 by the Walter G. Horstmans.
Adams Homestead, now the property of the Charles N. Adams is the former home of Mr. Adams’ father, G.C. Adams, originator of the first Boys Corn Club, which sparked the innovation of 4-H Club work. It is also the former homesite of Dr. F. M. Cheney, pioneer in the field of medicine, who compounded “Cheney’s Expectorant” which is still in demand as a cough remedy.
The Cheney home is being restored by the Adams, to its original status, and will be occupied by them upon completion.Alcovy Place, now owned by brothers, Charles and John Sherod, who came to Ga. In 1954, from Montana looking for a warmer climate, consists of 910 acres.
It was originally the site of Alcovy Methodist Churc; moved in 1913; a cotton gin which burned in 1925. A cemetery that has one gravestone dating back to 1851, and is a marker for Joe Collen. The Sherods have developed the farm into a cattle and chicken ranch.
Cornish Mt. Farm, so named since a portion of it lies ion the mountainside of that name. Purchased in 1956 from J.L. Bell by the M.C. Sherods who also moved from Montana consists of 740 acres upon which they have developed a fine herd of cattle, and a large chicken farm.