Covington has had one radio station for past 19 years
The first radio station to serve Newton and surrounding counties was licensed on Dec. 6, 1946 as WMOC. The station was located in a building just off Monticello Street and operated full time on 1490 kilocycles. On Sept. 3, 1953 the station was licensed to operate daytime only on 1430 kilocycles.
The station went off the air Oct. 6, 1953 and remained off until Dec. 27, 1953 during which time it was sold to a group of businessmen in Alabama. This group operated the station as WGFS for several years. The station experienced financial and personnel problems and it was sold again on June 1, 1957 to Mr. and Mrs. Bill Hoffman who moved to Newton County from Covington, Tennessee.
The station was moved from its location on Monticello Street into a new building on Covington-Conyers highway in May 1958. A new tower was erected at that time and more modern equipment has been added each year since then.
Modern cartridge tape recording equipment was installed in 1962. A new transmitter was placed in service in 1963. A mobile remote transmitter provides better coverage of local events. The station has put special emphasis on local news for several years in order to provide listeners with up to the minute coverage of happenings concerning this area.