The Covington News - - SPORTS -

Lo­ganville’s de­fense also missed some opportunities in the first quar­ter, as Eastside quar­ter­back, Bray­den Harper threw two in­com­plete passes that could have eas­ily turned into in­ter­cep­tions for Lo­ganville be­fore go­ing into the sec­ond quar­ter.

Eastside ac­tu­ally would get a break on one near pick when Harper threw a pass that was in­ter­cepted. How­ever, a pass in­ter­fer­ence penalty negated that call. Three plays later, Eastside run­ning back,pow­ered through for an Eastside touch­down with 9:06 left in the first half. Kade Mote se­cured the ex­tra point for a 7-3 score.

Eastside coach, Troy Hoff, said he felt for­tu­nate to see his team in the lead af­ter the nip-and-tuck first half.

“Ev­ery play it was some­thing (in the first half),” Hoff said. “We had a lot of mis­com­mu­ni­ca­tion and not ex­e­cut­ing. I’m happy we cleaned up the sec­ond half. We chal­lenged our team at the half. We said to come out and be the good foot­ball team that you are. The ef­fort was there it just wasn’t be­ing ex­e­cuted.

“We played a good sec­ond half. We came out and played phys­i­cal. De­fense played good foot­ball all night.”

Led by se­nior de­fen­sive tackle, Spur­geon Gaither, the Ea­gles’ de­fense poured it on af­ter half­time.

Eastside’s of­fense also looked crisper af­ter half­time.

Well into the third quar­ter, Harper ap­peared to score on a touch­down run, but it was brought back due to a hold­ing call. That’s when fresh­man tail­back, Quincy Cullins ripped off a 13-yarder which would even­tu­ally set him up for a one-yard touch­down to stretch Eastside’s lead to 14-3 with 3:07 left in the third quar­ter.

Lo­ganville tried to spark a come­back in the fourth quar­ter af­ter Parker Blackerby re­ceived the ball, fum­bled and re­cov­ered that fum­ble at the 13-yard line. This put the Red Dev­ils in prime scor­ing po­si­tion in the red zone. How­ever, Lo­ganville could not com­plete sev­eral pass at­tempts into the end zone for its re­main­ing downs.

And with 2:19 left in the game, Harper iced it when he scored from 36 yards out to pro­vide the game’s fi­nal mar­gin.

Af­ter­ward, Humphreys was gra­cious in his team’s de­feat, although he know doubt won­dered what could’ve been if his bunch could’ve made good on its scor­ing chances.

“We had opportunities and left points on the field,” Humphreys said. “I give credit to Eastside, they made the plays. We gave up a lot of big plays on de­fense, (Eastside) cap­i­tal­ized on that. We just have to keep work­ing hard and get bet­ter at what we’re do­ing.”

Next week, Eastside (3-1) will rest with a bye week. Lo­ganville (0-3) will take on Win­der-Bar­row next week at home.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.