Oregon: Cannon back
Cannon Beach’s 2,000-pound namesake is back home. The Daily Astorian reported that the iron cannon will be included in a permanent exhibit at the Cannon Beach History Center and Museum. It is expected to be set up by mid-summer. The was named Ecola until 1922, when residents voted to adopt the name Cannon Beach. Historians believe the cannon is from the deck of the USS Shark, a naval schooner that sank in the Columbia River in 1846. It was found, lost, and came ashore again in 1898.
From Herald news services